The Games we play part 2

(De Andre's POV)

Gazes bore into me. I feel like an insect examined under a hot lamp. Elena's last sentence allowed the sharp edge of the pushpin to dangle near my throat. I need to stop the blood from exposing a lie over the truth. I stood up slowly to the audience in the room, waiting.

"Elena, I am only here for my art project," I said stringing on this lie.

Jeremy looked at me confused.

"Wait, art project?" he asked loudly. Shit, I have to add more fluff. I crossed my arms.

"The art project about drawing our inner selves. Remember?" I said smiling. I was not fooling anyone especially Elena right now.

"This is fishy. I think you are here for something else." Elena said. I looked at her.

"Why else would I be here?" I was confused about the matter of this accusation.

"Weed," she said accordingly. The camera is on her. She has become the star of this dramatic scene.

"Elena! You can not accuse someone of that." Jenna said. Elena walked closer to me.

"When Jeremy returned home, I smelled weed on his breath. I did not smell it before leaving your car," she said determinedly. Elena is trying to prove that I am a bad guy. Last night, she was sweet. What changed? I peered down at her.

"Well, Elena, if I wanted weed I would not make it obvious. I am not stupid. I have never received weed from Jeremy. You are right about one thing." I said putting up a finger. Even if, I did smoke with Jeremy, I will not rat on him.

"What is it?" she said. I leaned down to her ear.

"I am here for something else, it does not involve you," I whispered into her ear. I walked around her to approach Jeremy and Jenna.

"I almost forgot about the good news!" I said enthusiastically. Everyone in the room perked up from my changed tone. I turned to Jeremy.

"You left in a hurry before Ms. White could talk to you. She wants you to become a class assistant. This involves grading papers, and projects, and would be a good recommendation for college. Ms. White would have been here but she is going through a family crisis." I hope this fluff to the lie is believable to everyone.

"Jeremy, this is amazing!" Jenna gave Jeremy a tight hug. Elena looked defeated from the sidelines. She walked slowly to Jeremy giving him a small hug.

"I am proud of you Jere," Elena murmured. She looked at me but I turned away. This is why I never liked the doppelganger. She thinks that words flying from her mouth will give her an easy pass. Jeremy pushed away from Elena.

"I appreciate the congratulations. Would you guys mind if I talk to De Andre upstairs for a few minutes?" he asked. Jenna nodded. Elena was leaning in the doorway.

"When you guys are done, there will be a celebration. It has been so long," Jenna said walking to the kitchen. Elena lingered behind. Jeremy started walking up the stairs.

"Dre, can I--" I followed a distance behind Jeremy.

"No," I said firmly. When we reached his room, Jeremy locked the door. He put on a rock song.

"Wow, you are a pretty good liar. I am shocked they fell for the assistant bullshit." He said. I threw my hands in the air, relieved.

"I am a quick thinker," I said smiling. He walked closer.

"You ready to tell me the truth?" Jeremy asked. I leaned back a little.

"The truth is... you have a ton of makeup work. It is waiting in my bag. I am gonna get it." I said walking towards the door. Jeremy grabbed my arm.

"Not so fast. I have more questions," he said gripping my arm. I moved my arm from his grasp.

"Listen, I only came here to deliver the papers and leave. Not play twenty-one questions with you." I said. He sat down on his bed.

"Why don't you want to be friends?" he asked. The brown eyes filled with a certain need to be quenched from my response. I walked to the window to see a bird nest in a nearby tree.

"Jeremy, it is complicated. You would not understand the situation." I heard a click of a tongue behind me.

"Do not give me that Edward Cullen line. When we spent that night talking, I felt like you understood me." I kept looking out the window hearing him walk behind me.

"I need someone like you in my life right now. I need a friend. A true friend." he said sadly. I can not be friends with him. I do feel comfortable around him. I am scared to turn around. He placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Dre, look at me. Please. I do not want to face this storm alone." I hold my breath turning around to him. His eyes leak with despair and loneliness.

"Jeremy, I..." My body pulled me forward out of his room and down the stairs. I kept running down the street to get my mind off the need for friendship, Mystic Falls, family, and everything.

When I got into the woods, hours on hours my thoughts infested my mind. Darkness came and I felt eyes on me. I start to walk back when a branch snapped behind me. Legs took off through branches and dirt. I run stumbling a little bit as a shadow runs past me. What is it? who is it? I am thrown back into the tree by this unknown force into unconsciousness.