1

I walked up to Lori as we waited at the front of the school for our children. "Hey Lori!" I said as I hugged her and she returned it. "Hey," she replied in a sad tone. "Are you okay?" I asked her she looked at me. She looked down, "We got into a fight this morning. It got ugly. Hurtful." I looked down knowing what it felt like. Shane could be a real asshole when he's angry. "I'm sorry hon, men can be assholes." I replied. She shook her head, "Thing is, if we're being honest, he wasn't the asshole," I nodded before she continued, "He was trying so hard to be reasonable, it just pushed my buttons all the more. God, I sometimes wish he would just have it out with me and blow up, tell me I'm being a bitch if that's what I'm being. Instead he's just so..." Lori sighed. I grab her shoulder, forcing her to look at me, "Don't beat yourself up about it. Couples fight." She shook her head yet again, " No? You can't tell me that being pissed at your husband because he doesn't yell at you is even close to being rational." I laughed, I didn't have to worry about that with Shane. If you did one thing to make him upset, he'd blow up. "That's one problem I don't have with Shane." I said looking to the ground. "You still love him though." She said with a smile. "Well of course I do, do you still love Rick?" I asked her in a serious manner. She looks over at me, " I've been asking myself that a lot. And I think the answer's yes. It's just I'm trying to remember how that works. Maybe the only real problem we have is we got married so young and it's..." Sirens interrupt us and we look to see my husband, Shane get out of the car with no Rick. He walks over to us and gives me a small peck and puts his arm around my waist. "How's your day been ladies?" He asks us. I look back at his empty police car and back to him. "Where's Rick?" I asked him. I look over to see worry flash over Lori's face. "Is he dead?" She asks softly finally looking up at us. Shane quickly shook his head, "He's in surgery." The bell rings and children start pouring out of the school. "How?" I ask looking over to Shane. "There was a radio call that said that there was two suspects in a car. But there was a third man. Somebody screwed up. I screwed up. I did not see him in time. Lori, it's my fault-" He said before I softly grab his shoulder, forcing him to look at me. "This is not your fault. It was an accident." I said calmly. Shane would let it eat him alive, if he continued to feel like it was his fault. "She's right Shane, I don't believe that." The bells ring and the kids head towards us, "What do I say? How do I tell my son his father's been shot? How do I tell your daughter he was shot?" Lori says in a panic. I grabbed her hand, "You don't have to do this alone." She nodded and the kids finally reached us. As we told them what happened they started to cry and hug us. I rubbed Joey's back as she cried in my arms.

We finally reached the hospital. Lori walked up to the front desk and asked, "My husband was shot. His name is Rick, Rick Grimes." The nurse looked through her chart before finding his name and taking us to him. When we entered the room, Lori and the children lost it. "Please be okay." She whispered to Rick as she held his hand.

Awhile later Joey, Carl, Lori and I were sitting out in the waiting room. Lori held Carl in her arms as they slept. We all sat waiting for any updates on Rick's condition. Joey looked up at me, "Mama, is Rick going to die?" I looked at her and rubbed my thumb against her cheek gently, "No baby, Rick will be just fine. He's tough, just like your daddy." She nodded and nuzzled into my side. I close my eyes as I fall asleep.

I jolt awake to the sound of screaming, I look over to the entrance to see soldiers suited up with guns yelling at civilians to stay back. "Joey, Carl, stay behind us," I say as Lori and I pull the children behind us. The soldiers start to shoot and we all scream a little. One of the people start attacking a soldier and biting him, and I freeze in horror. Shane came running out of Rick's room yelling, "MADISON! LORI!" We run over to him and he hugs us, "Oh thank God you're okay. We have to go." He says pulling us forward. Lori doesn't follow and we turn around. Shane walks over to her and grabs her arm, "Lori we need to leave. NOW!" She looks to Rick's room and then back at us, "I'm not- I can't leave him." I grab her shoulders making her look at me. "Lori we need to go now, it's not safe." Shane steps in front of me grabbing Lori's hands, "Lori look at me. They're sending him to another hospital, but we need to go now. It's not safe, Joey and Carl need to be somewhere safe." She nods moving forward as Shane pushes a nearby bed in front of Ricks door. We ran out of the hospital and into the parking lot. We saw a lot of dead people on the ground and saw some dead walking towards us. Yeah you heard me, the dead are walking. What the hell is going on? I kneeled down to Joey and said, "You stay by me at all times alright?" she nodded and grabbed my hand. I stepped closer to Shane and grabbed his arm, "Shane what do we do?" He pulled out his gun and aimed it towards one of them that were walking towards us. "Don't come any closer," he threatened. It didn't listen and Shane pulled the trigger shooting it dead in the chest. Joey and Carl cried as they heard the gunshot, but the thing just kept coming. I scooted closer to Shane in fear, he shot it again, nothing. The third time he shot it in the head and it fell down. Shane looked at me, "To the car, Let's go." We ran to the car, Shane got in the driver side, and I got in the front. Lori and the kids were in the back. Shane pulled out of the hospital parking lot and drove towards the highway out of the city. "What the hell are those things?" I said freaking out. Shane put his hand on my thigh, and whispered, "I don't know."

We sat in a dead stop on the highway, nonstop honking. When we got out we met Carol and Ed, and their daughter Sophia. Carol and her daughter seemed like very sweet people, but I couldn't say the same for her husband. The kids sat on the tailgate of the truck as Lori and I sat on the hood of a car, and Shane was in the car trying to get a signal. "Are we gonna go soon?" Sophia asked her mom. Carol caressed her head and replied, "I don't know baby, I sure hope so." Carl and Joey's stomachs growl very loud. "I'm hungry." They say at the same time. "I know babies." I said looking down. They haven't eaten since their after school snack, and that was hours ago. "Why don't I get them something to eat? Ed's into all this survival stuff. We've got enough M.R.E.s to feed a small army" Carol said with a smile. "That would be wonderful, thank you. "I smiled. I watched as she went over to the backseat of her car and opened it. As soon as she opened it, Ed her husband slammed it shut, and I look over to them. "What in the hell did you tell her that for? We don't even know these damn people!" He whisper-yelled. Carol looked very upset and scared of Ed. "The kids are hungry, surely we can spare one box." Carol said not looking up to him. He got further into her face, "It's called operational security. How long do you think this stuff is gonna last if you keep running your damn mouth off to everybody we meet?" She looked down again, "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking." I walked over to them. "Hey Ed, why don't you leave her alone." I said looking him straight in the eye. "Why don't you mind your own business, bitch." He said looking me up and down. I wrapped my arm around Carol's shoulder and pulled her back to the group. I walked over to the car was Shane was surfing the channels. "You getting anything, babe?" I asked him. He put his arms around my waist and shook his head. "Doesn't surprise me," Lori said coming behind us. He shook his head, "No, I mean there's nothing. Emergency broadcast system stopped, and that recording about the refugee center. It's all gone. I'm gonna go up the road, see what I can see." "I'll go with you." Lori and I said at the same time. "You two can go, Someone has to stay with the kids." I said with a small smile. Shane walked over and kissed me before telling me he loved me. I walked over to the kids and made small talk with Carol. "Your dad's really nice." Sophia said to Carl. "He's not my dad, he's Joey's dad. My dad is dead." Carl said looking to the ground. I walked over to him and gave him a hug. "Mads, what's that?" Carl asked pointing to the sky. "It looks like lighting mommy." Joey said pointing. "That's not lighting." I said standing in front of the kids. Then there was a large explosion. "Oh my God," I said softly covering my mouth. "What's going on?" Carol asked me. I shook my head, I had no idea. Shane and Lori came running back. "Madison, Joey, Carl! Are you okay?" He yelled. I ran up to him and hugged him, "You're safe." He lifted my head up looking at me, "I always am, beautiful."

We left the highway and ran into a few people along the way and set up a camp.