31

Madison's POV
I sat beside Hershel as we waited for Lori to come back with Hershel's new crutches. I look down at his leg and I sigh, "I'm sorry Hershel. This is all my fault." He shakes his head and pats my shoulder, "Don't be sorry, Madison. I thank you for what you did. You saved my life. I may have one less leg, but now I have more time with my girls." We sit quietly for a moment before Hershel breaks it, "You know Madison, I think of you like one of my daughters." I smile, "You do?" Hershel nods, "And if I can give you some advice? I've heard from Rick that you see Shane sometimes." I look at him, "You think I'm crazy?" He shakes his head, "No, I think you're broken. I think you know you're broken, but you don't let anyone see it." I sigh, "I have to be strong, for Joey. Her dad is gone, she can't lose me too." "It's okay mom." I hear and look up to see Joey. I look back over to Hershel and excuse myself telling him I'd be right back. I take Joey back to my cell and we sit down. "I see dad too sometimes, when I'm sleeping. He's usually telling me to stop being such a baby." Joey says softly. I look up to her and see a tear fall from her eye, and I wipe it away. "I know it's been hard, but dad is in a better place now. He doesn't have to suffer anymore." I tell her and she nods. "Mom? Can I tell you something?" She asks me and I nod. She looks up at me and starts to say something then stops. I grab her hand, "Joey, you can tell me anything." She nods and takes a deep breath, "Carl and I kissed." My jaw drops, my baby isn't a baby anymore, she's kissing boys. I laugh, "Awe! My baby isn't a baby anymore!" I grab her and pull her into a hug and rub her hair. She laughs and pushes away, "Don't tell Rick or Lori, mom. Carl said he wanted to." I take my hand and zip my lips and throw away the key, "Your secret is safe with me. Gah! I just can't believe you're not a baby anymore. I miss when you thought boys had cooties." Joey laughs and smiles, "Thanks for being here for me mom. Here I am gossiping about boys with my mom. You're like my own best friend." I laugh, "I'm always your built in best friend." We hug and go back to Hershel.

When we get there I help Lori stand him up on the crutches. When we get outside I see Maggie and Beth in the courtyard. "All right. Just take your time." Lori tells him softly. I look at him worried, "Don't push yourself." Hershel laughs, "What else am I going to do? I can't stand looking up at that bottom of that bunk anymore-" Hershel wobbles and I instantly grab him, "Careful, last thing we need is you fallin'" We take a few steps forward and Hershel smiles, "You know, I think I'm pretty steady." "That's a good start. Want to take a rest?" Lori asks him and he laughs, "Rest? Let's go for a little stroll." Lori nods, "We got you here if you need it. Just take your time on these steps." We walk down the steps and Hershel looks around smiling, "You cleared all those bodies out? It's starting to look like a place we could really live in." I nod agreeing with him. I need this place to be safe, for Joey. I look over at her and Carl walking over us and smile. They look happy, and that's why I need this place to work. For their happiness. "All right, Hershel!" Glenn yells from in the field. Beth and Maggie walk up to us, "You're doing great, daddy." "Ready to race us Hershel?" Carl jokes motioning between him and Joey. Hershel laughs, "Give me another day. I'll take you two on." Carl and Joey laugh. These are the moments where you forget about the dead and can really feel like you can have a life within the apocalypse. Everyone had a smile on their face and it was nice to see, sometimes in this world, you forget how nice a smile can truly be. My thoughts are interrupted by Carl yelling, "Walkers! Look out!" "Get out! Get out of there! Now! Lori! Madison!" Rick yells. I look around to see walkers coming all around us. "Daddy, behind you!" Beth pointed. I took out the walker by Hershel before looking to Beth and Maggie, "Beth! Maggie! Take care of your dad. Lori, Carl, Joey! Here!" I grabbed Lori and pushed her in front of me and I grabbed Joey's hand. I slammed the door behind us, I turn back to see Lori leaning against the wall. An alarm starts blaring throughout the prison and I start to panic. I grab Lori's shoulder, "Can you keep up?" She shakes her head grunting in pain, "Something's not right." Fuck. "Are you bit?" Carl asks her worried. Lori shakes her head groaning in pain, "No, no, no. I think the baby's coming." Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. "This can't be happening. Not now." I mutter. My thoughts are interrupted by snarls. I grab Lori's arm and put it over my shoulder for support and we turn around going away from the walkers. We keep moving forward until walkers block our path. "No, there's no time. Turn back." Lori says painfully. There's nowhere to go, we're going to die here. I look at Joey and see her terrified. Madison think! Joey can't die like this, Carl can't die like this. Alarms are blaring, walkers are snarling, Joey and Carl are crying, Lori's in pain, and I'm freaking out. I look around to see a door, "In here!" We all run in and I slam the door shut and the walkers beat on it outside.