71

Mads POV

I sat next to Carol and Lizzie as Tyreese and Mika slept on the tracks. Carol and Lizzie took first watch, but I couldn't sleep so I sat there with them and my babies, but they fell asleep. Archie was asleep in his sling on my chest and Judith was asleep on my thighs, cuddled in close. Judy had taken quite the attachment to me since I've found her, seems as she missed me a lot. Every time I put her down, she cries until I pick her back up. Let me tell you it's hard carrying a newborn on your chest and an infant on your hip, but I make it work. "You should get some rest Mads." Carol called to me. I nodded, "Yeah, I will eventually." She looks to Lizzie, "You can sleep too, Lizzie." She shakes her head, "I'm okay. If there's trouble, I can take Judith. I can help." I smiled at the girl, "You really think you can help me?" She nods, "I know I can, ma'am." Lizzie looks to Carol, "Do you think there will be kids there? At Terminus?" Carol shrugs, "If their parents kept them safe. Like Tyreese kept all of you safe." Lizzie nods, "I saved Tyreese. There were people shooting at him. I shot them. First a man, then a woman. I didn't mean to shoot her in the head." Carol waved her off, "You had to. You saved Tyreese. Maybe there'll be kids there, even if their parents couldn't keep them safe. Maybe the kids kept their parents safe." Seeing them talk together reminded me of when Joey and I would talk. I missed her, I missed her so much. The not knowing was killing me, but I will find her. She had to go to Terminus, she will be there. "Did you have kids?" Lizzie asked Carol and my mind went back to Sophia, it had been a while since I thought of that sweet girl that I know Carol thought of everyday. Carol nodded, "I did. A daughter." Lizzie smiled, "What was she like?" Carol sighed, "She was sweet. She didn't have a mean bone in her body." "Is that why she isn't here now?" She asked and Carol nodded in response. "Do you miss her?" Lizzie asked and Carol nodded, "Every day." It was silent for a moment until Lizzie spoke again, "Would you miss me?" Carol shook her head, "I'm not gonna have to miss you." I nod, "She's right. You'll be just fine with us." Carol looked at her, "You're dead on your feet. Go sleep next to your sister, okay?" Lizzie went to object, "But, ma'am, I can help." Carol smiled, "I'm gonna need your help looking after things tomorrow. Go to sleep, okay? Go." Lizzie walks over and curls up next to Mika. I place a hand on Carol's shoulder, "I know that was hard." Carol nods, "It's hard to talk about her, but it's even harder to act like she didn't exist. As crazy as it sounds, it's the same with Ed." I nod understanding her, "I've moved on with Rick, and now we have our blended little family of our four babies, but I'd lie if I said I never thought about Shane. I still see him some times. Like when I was passing out giving birth. I could hear him." Carol rubs my back, "I still have nightmares of Ed every so often. It's hard." I laugh, "Trust me I understand." We were interrupted by Tyreese talking in his sleep, "No, no. No." He jolts open looking at the both of us.

I was tired, but there I was bouncing Judy on one leg and holding her up with one arm, as I fed Archie a bottle with the other arm. I don't know why, but this moment here mad me strongly miss Rick. Don't get me wrong, I miss him all the time, but it's the small moments that force me to realize these kids won't have their father. And that I'm alone. Alone with our two babies. Carol came down applying some sap to Tyreese's infected wound, "It hurts, right?" Tyreese nods, "Oh, yeah. It hurts." Carol sighs, "This will fight the infection. Might even bring down your fever." Tyreese looks at Carol and I, "What do you all think? Three days out? Four days?" Carol shrugs, "We haven't seen any of those maps at the crossings. I'm not sure." I shrug, "Lizzie's tough." Carol hums, "When it comes to people." Tyreese looks at her confused, "What do you mean?" She looks at him, "You haven't seen it? How she's confused about them, the walkers. She doesn't see what they are. She thinks they're just different." I look to the girls, "Mica the same way?" She shakes her head looking to me, "No, she's worse. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body." I think back to what she said last night about Sophia, wondering if she thought Mika was going to see the same fate.