14

Glenn's POV
"Oh god, they're back." I say as I see Daryl come through the bushes. "You didn't find them?" Carol cried. Rick shook his head, "Their trail went cold. We'll pick it up again at first light." "You can't leave mine and Mads daughters out there on their own to spend the night alone in the woods." Carol cried. "Out in the dark's no good. We'd just be tripping over ourselves. More people get lost." Daryl said honestly. "But they're 12. They can't be out there on their own. You didn't find anything?" Carol asked. I looked behind them not seeing her, "Guys, where's Mads?" Rick ignored the question. "Rick where is my wife?" Shane asks stepping forward. I scoff, "She's not your wife, she's my...girlfriend." Shane gives me a hateful look. "Glenn, Shane. I tried okay? She was not leaving those woods without Joey. I'm sorry." Rick sighs. "You left her out there alone?" I asked him. Rick ignored me looking back to Carol, "I know this is hard. But I'm asking you not to panic. We know they were out there." Daryl nodded, "And we tracked them for a while." "We have to make this an organized effort. Daryl knows the woods better than anybody. I've asked him to oversee this." Rick said signaling to Daryl. "Is that blood?" Carol asked Rick terrified. "We took down a walker." Rick answered truthfully. "Walker? Oh my god" Carol begins to panic. "There was no sign it was ever anywhere near Sophia or Joey." Rick said to calm her. "How can you know that?" Andrea asked him. "We cut the son of a bitch open, made sure." Daryl said to the group. "Oh god. How could you and Mads just leave them out there to begin with? How could y'all just leave them?" Carol cried. "Those six walkers were on us. We had to draw them off. It was their best chance." "Sounds like they didn't have a choice, Carol." Shane says rudely to her. "How were they supposed to find their way back on their own? They're just children. Just children." Carol cried. "It was our only option. The only choice we could make." Rick said looking to the ground. "I'm sure nobody doubts that." Shane said patting Rick's shoulder. "Two little girls got left in the woods. My little girl got left in the woods." Carol cried.

Mads POV
I had convinced Rick that I was not leaving these woods until I found my daughter. Whether she was alive or dead, I had to know. I kept walking hoping I would find her. I heard a gunshot and ran toward the direction of it, sprinting for way too long. Exhausted I dropped down to my knees, "God, please help me. She's just a little girl. She has her whole life ahead of her." Suddenly I'm thrown to the ground by a walker. I struggle against him for a second before throwing him off to the side and stabbing him in the head, multiple times, taking all of my anger out. "Fuck you!" I screamed standing up and kicking the walkers. "Fuck you." I started to sob as I drop to the ground. Is this some sick joke to you God?

Rick POV
I've been worried all night long, about Sophia, about Joey, about Madison. With Joey gone she's going to go off the deep end, I know it. I've never seen Madison so distraught and seeing her a sobbing mess, hurt. Madison was always joyful, ever since we were kids. You'd never see her without that smile on her face. Yesterday she was nothing but tears. I didn't want to leave her, but I had no choice. I wanted to stay with her, nobody should have to be alone. I know I wouldn't want to be.

I walk up to the group, "Everybody takes a weapon." I unroll the various melee weapons Carl had found. Andrea rolls her eyes, "These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" "We've been over that. Daryl, Rick and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles." Shane says rudely. He's been different since Madison broke things off with him, he's been distant. I have no idea what happened, but for Madison to call it quits, it had to be serious. "It's not the trees I'm worried about." Andrea looks out to the trees. "Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it." Shane says in a pissy tone. "The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side. Chances are they'll be by the creek. It's their only landmark." Daryl said pointing to the map. "Stay quiet and stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay within sight of each other." I say looking to everyone. "Everybody assemble your packs." Shane says and everyone breaks to pack their go bags. I look to Dale, "Dale, keep on those repairs. We've got to get this RV ready to move." He nods, "We won't stay here a minute longer than we have to. Good luck out there. Bring Sophia and Joey back." "Keep an eye on Carl while we're gone?" I ask him. "I'm going with you. You need people, right? To cover as much ground as possible." Carl says to me. I look to Lori and she puts her hands up, "Your call. I can't always be the bad guy." "Well, he has all of you to look after him. I'd say he's in good hands." Dale adds. I look at Carl to see him having hope in his eyes. Joey was Carl's best friend, I can only imagine how he's dealing with this. "Okay. Okay. But always within our sight, no exceptions." Carl nods.