63

Mads POV.

With the herd still on my tail I ran as fast and as far from them as I could. The moment I would stop for air, I would have to start running again. There was far too many to take on alone. Pain was radiating all over my body, from my eye to my legs and feet. I knew I had to stop soon to patch up my eye, the blood was now dried onto my face. If I didn't stop to check it soon, there would for sure be an infection. I'll patch it up and look to find Joey, Carl, Judith, and Rick. I saw up ahead there was a cabin so I sprinted for it. I slowly opened the door pulling my knife out, I was met with the sound of growling. I looked in to see a walker tied to a chair, I quickly stabbed it in the head and looked around the walker's body. I saw bloody cuts all over it's arms and legs, I picked up the note beside the chair and it read, 'she knew too much.' I walked over to the table and grabbed one of the chairs before blocking the door off. I figured this would be a good place to hold up until the herd passes.

I grabbed the lantern and turned it on before heading into the bathroom. I looked into the mirror and was stunned by who looked back at me. My eyeball was completely destroyed and was a bloody mess. There was so much dirt and blood on me that I was almost unrecognizable from who I was just a few hours prior. I looked at my eye and I couldn't help but the days events run through my head. The Governor showing up at the gates, killing Hershel, Rick being shot, me killing that woman, only God knowing where my kids are right now, and I broke down. I cried harder than I've ever cried before. People I loved, people I gave my all for are just gone or dead and there's nothing I can do to control any of it. I sobbed for what felt like hours before I stood up and opened the medicine cabinet. Inside was some rubbing alcohol, some gauze and some medical tape, it'll have to do I guess. I poured some alcohol on one of the gauze, taking a deep breath before placing it on my eye. "Son of a bitch!" I yelled out in pain. My eye felt like it was on fire, I quickly placed a few more gauze over my eye before taping them on with the tape. I looked back up in the mirror to see the same as before, but with a gauze over my eye.

I set up a perimeter outside the bedroom door with some string and empty tins I found in the cabin. I lay in the bed and try for what seems like hours to fall asleep, but I can't every time I close my eyes I'm met with the events of yesterday. Slowly but surely the sun peaks through the window and it's a new day with no sleep. I have to find them, my family, my people. I get up and take a bag and stuff it with the remaining food that was left here and the one small blanket, it was all that was left. I peak outside to see if there was any walkers and there was only one. I quickly take it out and remember back to the very beginning how Rick, Glenn, and I covered ourselves in walker guts and walked through a herd. I sigh, "God damn it." I sliced the stomach of the walker open and started scooping the guts out and covering myself with them. Smelled worse than what I remembered. I covered my body before I covered my hair and my face. I started heading back to the prison slowly, in hope that anyone was there.

When I finally arrived I was in shock. Everything we had once had was on fire and overran. Walkers were everywhere. I head up through the field and into the courtyard to check for any survivors. I look over to see Judith's car seat and it's empty and full of blood, I feel like my heart stops. Tears start to fall from my eye, but I keep going towards the way the bus went. In hopes that they stopped somewhere along the road to group up. I started to walk the path for about 15 to 20 minutes when I see the bus come into view. I see the door open and bodies laying on the ground around it. No. I quickly start running to it and I begin to flip each body to see their faces. I flip on after the other and there was no sign that either of my kids were on this bus. They either made it out of the prison and are somewhere nearby or they didn't make it at all. What if I was the only one that made it out?

I feel a sharp pain in my stomach and I look down to see fluid trickling down my legs. No, not now. This can't be happening. I slowly start walking forward, as my contractions begin. They almost make me double over in pain, I look around until I see a house up ahead and I move for it. I open the door and stumble in knocking some things off of the shelves. I shut the door before crawling over to the stairs and forcing myself up them. I look down at my legs to see fresh blood starting to cover my pants. I stumble up and force myself into the bathroom, and into the bathtub. I pull my leggings and my underwear down and I feel a large contraction coming on. I scream out in pain loudly before realizing the situation I was in. If I screamed too loud, I would cause walkers to hear me. I quickly pulled the walker guts shirt off leaving me in my white tank top. I felt the urge to push so that's what I did. "You're doing great, keep going." I hear, I look over my shoulder to see Shane. Great I'm probably losing so much blood I'm hallucinating. "Come on, girl. Another push!" He encourages me so I do. I scream out loudly in pain. "You need to be quiet or you're going to bring another herd on our asses, you think you can do that?" He asks and I nod. I look down and feel the head of the baby crowning. I grit my teeth and give it another painful push. I look down to see the babies head and shoulder out. I grab onto the baby's shoulders and give one more push as I pull the baby the rest of the way out, screaming out in pain as the baby comes out. I pull the baby into my chest as it cries, I look at the baby to see it was a boy. I feel my eyes start to flutter as I hold the baby against my chest as it cried. "Don't you close your eyes on me girl." Shane spoke sternly. "She's losing a lot of blood." I heard a voice say. "What do we do?" I heard another voice say before I blacked out.