42

Rick gave me zipties and told me to bind his hands behind his back, so I did. Rick took off his shirt and I grabbed some gauze, peroxide, and wrap. I walked over to him and he went to protest, but I shook my head, "Shh, this is going to hurt." I poured the peroxide in his wound as he winced out in pain. I placed the gauze before I slowly started to wrap around his shoulder, and around his side. "Just kill me. Just kill me. Just kill me. Just ... just kill me." Morgan cried out. Rick walked over to him, "You found me last year in my front yard, Morgan. You and ... you found me. You fed me. You told me what's happening. You saved me. My name is Rick Grimes. You know me. I'm not wearing a dead man's face." Rick walked over to one of the bins and picked up a walkie showing it to Morgan, "I gave you this. I said I'd turn it on every day at dawn so you could find me." Morgan looked at the walkie before looking back to Rick, "Rick? I know you. Oh, man. Damn it, I ... I know you. I know who you are." There was a pause and it was peaceful not seeing Morgan acting all crazy. "You said you'd turn yours on at dawn. That's what you said. I mean, I hadn't worked up to it yet, and ... then I did. On the roof, every morning for days, for weeks, me and my boy. And then..." Morgan paused looking almost broken, "me. Just static, though. Nothing but static. And then nothing but nothing. You weren't there. You were never there." I couldn't imagine what Morgan was going through, your children are supposed to bury you, not the other way around. You bury your parents, not your child. Rick nodded, "I was." Morgan shook his head, "No, not when I tried. I mean, you said you would turn on your radio every day at dawn." Rick sighed, "Morgan, I-" Morgan cut him off, "You said that you would turn on your radio..." Rick spoke over him, "I did!" Morgan continued yelling over Rick, "...every day at dawn and you were not there!" I could see by the look on Morgan's face, hearing Rick's voice over the radio was Morgan's last hope in the world after the death of his son, and when it didn't come, he lost it. Rick stands up and starts to pace between Morgan and I. "I kept getting ... I kept getting pushed farther out. I had to. I didn't have a choice. I found my wife and my boy. I had people. I had to keep them safe. We kept getting pushed back deeper into the country. I swear to God I didn't have a choice." Rick tried to explain. Morgan looked back at me before kicking the radio towards Rick, "You can have your radio back 'cause it looks like I finally found you!" Morgan looks to me, "Are you his wife?" I shake my head then he looks back to Rick, "You found your wife and your son. That's what happened, right? You found them." He could see Rick's face drop and he knew something happened. "And did they ... Did she ... did your wife ... did she turn?" Morgan asked Rick. Rick shook his head, "No, she died." Morgan gave him an amazed look, "So you didn't have to see that, then. Of course not. Not like me. No. Not like me. Not like my wife. You remember what happened to her? You remember what she was?" Rick nodded softly, and I assumed she turned. "You gave me the gun. You tried." Morgan said softly. "What did I try, Morgan? What did I try?" Rick asked kneeling down to him. Morgan laughs softly, "You tried to get me to do it 'cause I was supposed to do it. I was supposed to kill her, my Jenny. Knew I was supposed to, but I let it go." My thoughts flood back to Shane, and watching him die, knowing I should've ended it earlier so he wasn't in as much pain. Another broken look washed over Morgan's face, "Let it go like there wasn't gonna be a reckoning. We was always looking for food. You know, it always came down to food. And I was ... I was checking out a cellar and I didn't want Duane to come down there with me. And then when I came up... she was standing there right in front of him and he had his gun up and he couldn't do it. So I called to him and he turned. And then she was just ..." He paused letting some tears flow, "just on him. And I see red. I see red. Everything is red. Everything I see is red. And I do it. Finally. Finally was too late." My heart broke as I listened to Morgan relive that day. Morgan takes a deep breath, "I was supposed to. I was selfish. I was weak. You gave me the gun." It was silent for a moment until Morgan asked Rick a question, "Hey, your boy ... is he dead?" Rick shook his head and Morgan looked at me, "Do you have any children...?" I nodded, "Madison, and yes I have a daughter." He nodded, "And is she dead?" I shook my head and he shrugged, "They will be. See, 'cause people like you, the good people, they always die. And the bad people do, too. But the weak people, the people like me... we have inherited the Earth."

Rick huffed looking out the window, "I'm not going to kill you. I don't think that's what's supposed to happen. I think you're supposed to come back with us." Rick cut his hands free. Morgan laughs, "After all that? After me trying to blow your head off, stab your heart out, happily ever after together?" Rick shrugged, "You couldn't kill me, I couldn't kill you. I'll take that as a sign." I walked over to Morgan, "We found a prison. The fences can keep 'em out." Morgan looked to Rick and I, "Is that where his wife died?" I looked over to Rick and Rick looked down, giving Morgan his answer. Morgan shook his head, "Just go. Don't go back. Don't stop. Just get yourself some more time." Rick walks over and kneels in front of Morgan, "Look, I-we can help you. You can come back with us. You can heal." Morgan looks behind him at all the bags we had filled, "Why do you need the guns, Rick? 'Cause if you got something good, that just means that there's someone who wants to take it. And that is what is happening, right?" I step forward, "We're gonna win." Rick looks back at me and nods, "She's right. You can be there. You can help." Morgan laughs shaking his head, "You and her, both your children. Your people, but not me. Because I am not gonna watch that happen again." Morgan stands up, "Man, you take the guns-" Rick stands and cuts him off, "You know there's a chance. That's what you can't square. That's what hurts. You know there's a chance!" Morgan turned back to Rick, "I don't think you heard a damn word that I said!" Rick moves towards Morgan, "We both started out in the same place. Things went bad for you, things went bad for me. But you're not seeing things right. I don't blame you, what you've lost, what you've been through. You're not seeing things right, but you can come back from this, I know you can. You have to. This can't be it. It can't be. You got to be able to come back from this." Morgan shakes his head, "No." Rick looked down then back up to him, "Morgan please." Morgan shakes his head, "No! I have to clear. That's why I didn't die today. That's the sign. I have to, man. I have to. I have to clear."

Rick and I started to carry stuff to the car and he looks over to me, "Madison, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you to stop acting like Carl's mother." I shrugged, "I mean you're right. I'm not his mother." Rick shook his head, "You're all he has left as a mother, Madison. Lori wanted you to treat him as if he and Judith were your own, I know that. What I'm trying to say is I'm lucky to have you looking out for them." I smile, "Of course Rick." I place my bag in the trunk as does Rick, he turns and grabs my arm, "Hey, I know things between us aren't easy, but I want you to know I'm here until you don't want me here." I shake my head, "Rick, I get that the feelings between us are there and it's just complicated with Lori and Shane, but no matter what happens between us, I will love you no matter what." We look over to see Carl and Michonne carrying the baby crib. "Hey, we were about to go look for you." Rick smiles to them. Carl apologizes and I smile shaking my head, "It's alright, you're here now." Michonne points to Rick's shoulder and Rick waves it off, "Oh, it's nothing." Michonne then looks back to Morgan who was taking care of the walkers that got trapped in his traps. "He's okay?" She asks us and we shake our head, "No." Carl looks back at Morgan, "Hey, Morgan. I had to shoot you. You know I had to, right? I'm sorry." Morgan walks over for a second and shakes his head, "Hey, son. Don't ever be sorry." It was good advice, if you worry too much about things you do in this world, you will die. Rick and I finished loading up the car as Carl came up to us. "Everything okay with her?" Rick asks his son and Carl nods, "I think she might be one of us." We looked at him confused and he shrugged, "What? Everything went okay." Carl got into the car and Rick took a bag from Michonne, "Hop in. I'll throw this in the back." Rick paused looking towards and opening, he probably saw Lori again. "You see something? I know you two see things. People." Michonne asks him and he just looks back to her. She shrugs, "I used to talk to my dead boyfriend. It happens." Rick laughs, "You want to drive?" Michonne nods, "Yeah." I laugh and nod, "Good. We see things."

I was holding Judith as she slowly drifted to sleep, then I laid her down in her new crib. I looked onto my bed and smiled, Joey had fallen asleep waiting for me to lay down Judith. Maggie walked into my cell and I shushed her pointed at the sleeping girls. Maggie apologized, "Sorry, I was just asking if you had an extra tampon." My face froze, with all the chaos I had forgotten about a period I haven't had. Maggie ran a hand in front of my face, "Mads? Are you alright?" I nodded before rummaging through my bag and giving her a tampon. I took a deep breath, 'No Madison, you're just crazy. There's no way I could be pregnant by the Governor.'