7

It's the next morning and Daryl and I are going around swinging pickaxes at all the dead body's heads, while Glenn and T-Dog drag the bodies we already took care of into the fire. Lori walks over to Andrea, who has yet to move from a dead Amy's side. I'm aware of how terrible it is for a loved one to pass, but Andrea needs to let us take care of her before she turns. No matter what happens to Shane or Joey, last thing I would want is them to turn from a walker bite. "Andrea. I'm so sorry. She's gone." Lori pauses looking to her, "You got to let us take her. We all cared about her and I promise we'll be as gentle as we can." Andrea completely ignores her and Lori takes the hint walking away. I pick the pickaxe and walk over to where Lori, Rick, and Shane were. "She still won't move?" Rick says looking to Andrea. Lori shakes her head, "She won't even talk to us. She's been there all night. What do we do?" "Can't just leave Amy like that. We need to deal with it same as the others." Shane states honestly. "She's a ticking time bomb, and sooner or later it's gonna go off." I say looking at Amy. Rick sighs, "I'll tell her how it is." I nod, "I'll go with you." Rick goes in front of me and tries to approach Andrea but she pulls a gun on him. I pull my gun out at her, "Drop it." "Andrea." Rick says shocked with his hands up. "I know how the safety works." Andrea says rolling her eyes. "I do too." I tell her not lowering my gun. She looks over at me, then Rick puts his hand on my gun lowering it. "All right. Okay. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He apologizes backing up. We walk back over to the group and Daryl joins us, "Y'all can't be serious. Let that girl hamstring us? The dead girl's a time bomb." "What do you suggest?" Rick asks irritated. "Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here." I say simply, raising my gun. Daryl nods,"She's right. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance." Lori stands in front of my gun, "No. For God's sakes, let her be." I roll my eyes and lower my gun. Daryl and I walk back over to help finish taking care of the bodies. I pull the bandana I barrowed from Daryl up over my face and pull a walker towards the fire. Daryl walks over to Morales, helping him pull one of the heavier bodies towards the fire. "What are you guys doing? This is for geeks. Our people go over there." Glenn says to Morales and Daryl. Daryl scoffs, "What's the difference? They're all infected."  "Our people go in that row over there. We don't burn them!" Glenn yelled, "We bury them. Understand? Our people go in that row over there." Daryl and Morales drag the body toward the row of our people. "You reap what you sow." Daryl said making sure everyone heard. Morales rolled his eyes, "You know what? Shut up, man." "Y'all left my brother for dead. You had this coming." Daryl says walking away. I walk over to help Jim and Jacqui pile up the bodies for the fire. I look over to Jim and see blood on his shirt, "Are you bleeding?" Jim quickly shakes his head, "I just got some on me from the bodies." "That blood is fresh. Were you bit?" Jacqui points out then asks. Jim looks down and whispers, "No. I got scratched during the attack." Jacqui freezes, "You got bit."  "I'm fine." Jim lies. "Then show us." I demand. He looks at me and then at Jacqui, "Don't tell, please." "A walker got him." Jacqui states quietly. "A walker bit Jim!" I yelled at the group stepping away from Jim. All the guys come around him, worried. Jim shakes his head looking around, "I'm okay. I'm okay." "Show it to us." Daryl says to him. "Show it to us!" I yell pointing at him. "Easy, Jim." Shane says holding his arm out stepping towards him. "Grab him." Daryl tells Shane. Jim looks around and then picks up the shovel standing in front of him, looking at the three of us. "Jim, put it down. Put it down." I tell him soothingly. T-Dog slowly walks up behind him, and grabs him from behind, forcing him to drop the shovel. "I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay." Jim says pleading at us. We all walk over to him and I pull up his shirt, revealing a large deep bite. I let go of his shirt and step away shocked. "I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay. I'm okay." Jim cries.

We were talking about what to do with Jim and Amy. Daryl steps forward, "I say we put a pickaxe in his head and the dead girl's and be done with it." Shane looks at him with disgust, "Is that what you'd want if it were you?" Daryl nods, "Yeah, and I'd thank you while you did it." "I say, we shoot Amy from here and wait until Jim gets to where Amy is now." I say shrugging. They all look at me wild eyed. Hey, I'm just speaking the truth, they're both dead. The bite kills you. "I hate to say it... I never thought I would... but maybe Daryl's right." Dale speaks up and Rick looks at him, "Jim's not a monster, Dale, or some rabid dog." Dale shook his head, "I'm not suggesting--" Rick cuts Dale off, "He's sick. A sick man. We start down that road, where do we draw the line?" Daryl rolled his eyes, "The line's pretty clear. Zero tolerance for walkers, or them to be." I nod my head, "He's not sick Rick. He's been bitten, and he's gonna turn." Shane put a hand on my waist, "Mads that's enough." I pull his hand off of me and go stand next to Daryl, and give Shane a hateful look. How dare he basically tell me to shut up in front of everyone.  "What if we can get him help? I heard the C.D.C. was working on a cure." Rick asked us. Shane rubbed his chin, "I heard that too. Heard a lot of things before the world went to hell." "What if the CDC is still up and running?" Rick asks looking around to the group. "That is a stretch right there." I tell him honestly. Shane looks at me again, and I look anywhere but him. Him acting like this, sometimes makes me wonder why I married him. "Why? If there's any government left, any structure at all, they'd protect the C.D.C. at all costs, wouldn't they? I think it's our best shot. Shelter, protection..." Rick trails off looking at me. Shane stands up, "Okay, Rick, you want those things, all right? I do too, okay? Now if they exist, they're at the army base. Fort Benning." I roll my eyes, Fort Benning, Fort Benning, I'm tired of hearing about Fort Benning. "That's 100 miles in the opposite direction." Lori argues and for once I agree with her.  "That is right. But it's away from the hot zone. Now listen to me. If that place is operational, it'll be heavily armed. We'd be safe there." Shane explains looking around at everyone. Rick sighs, "The military were on the front lines of this thing. They got overrun. We've all seen that. The C.D.C. is our best choice and Jim's only chance." I look over to see Jim sitting beside the RV, he looked horrible. "You go looking for aspirin, do what you need to do. Someone needs to have some balls to take care of this damn problem!" Daryl yells. Daryl heads toward Jim with his pickaxe and tries to take a swing. Rick points his gun at Daryl's head. "We don't kill the living." Rick says to Daryl. I laugh looking at Rick, "That's funny coming from a man who just put a gun to his head." Shane walks over to Daryl, "We may disagree on some things, not on this. You put it down. Go on." Daryl throws the pickaxe down and walks away. Rick takes Jim inside the RV, and Dale goes over to Andrea.