46

Rick POV

I had just got done telling Daryl that the Governor wants Michonne to torcher and Madison because she's pregnant. I decided that it's what I had to do, I had to put my feelings aside for the better of the group. "It's the only way. No one else knows." "You gonna tell 'em?" Daryl asks me and I shake my head, "Not till after. We have to do it today. It has to be quiet." Daryl sighs, "You got a plan?" I shrug, "We tell them we need to talk. Away from the others." Daryl looks away, "Just ain't us, man." Hershel nods in agreement, "No. No, it isn't." Hershel crutches away, I knew he was against the whole thing. I run a hand through my hair, "We do this, we avoid a fight. No one else dies." Even if they die, their blood will be on my hands. Daryl nods. I sigh, "Okay. We need someone else." Daryl knew I was talking about Merle and nods, "I'll talk to him." I shake my head, "I'll do it." "I'll go with you." he offers and I shake my head, "No. Just me."

I walk in to see mattresses being ripped apart by Merle. He looks over and sees me, "Just looking for a little vacation. Best dope I ever had was found in a mattress." He throws the mattress, "Nothing. This place must've been no fun at all." I looked at him harshly, "Do you even know why you do the things you do? The choices you make? If we give the Governor Michonne and Madison, Woodbury stands down. I don't like it, but it's what needs to be done. We need to make it quiet. We need your help with that." He looks down then back up at me, "You ain't told any of the others, have ya?" I shook my head, "Just Hershel, Daryl and you." Merle hums, "The inner circle. I'm honored. You know, when we'd go out on runs, he'd bash somebody's skull, slash somebody's throat, and he'd say, "Never waste a bullet." I always thought it was just an excuse. You go on. Give him those girls. He ain't gonna kill Michonne, you know. He's just gonna do things to her. Probably take out one of her eyes. Both of 'em, most likely. I know why he wants Michonne, but why does he want Madison, he need a play toy?" I look to the ground, "She's pregnant." Merle doesn't looked shocked, "So he wants to play house? Why are you giving Madison up, I thought you two had a thing?" I nodded, "We do." Merle smiles, "You'd let him take your girl for a shot? Whew. You're cold as ice, Officer Friendly." Merle had a way of making you feel worse than you already did about making decisions. "You're gonna need wire, not rope. Wire. Nothing they could chew through. Oh. You know something? You're right. I don't know why I do the things I do. Never did. I'm a damn mystery to me. But I know you, Rick. Yeah, I thought a lot about you. You ain't got the spine for it." I had to have the spine to do this, as much as I didn't want to. "We need to get them to the Governor by noon." I tell him before leaving the cell.

Mads POV

I was helping Michonne take down walkers in the field as the guy's put down barbed wire. "Come on, let's go!" Daryl yelled to us and we jumped into the truck. Rick opened the gates and we pulled in. When I hopped out of the truck, Rick ran over to me, "Madison, you can't be doing that anymore it isn't safe." The people around me gave us a weird look and I looked back to Rick, "I'm fine." Glenn walked over to Rick, "They try to drive up to the gate again, maybe some blown tires will stop them." Rick nods, "That's a good idea." Daryl nods, "It was Michonne's." I smile looking around to our people, "We don't have to win. We just have to make their getting at us more trouble than it's worth." Rick gave me an unsettling look, that confused me, but I ignored it. Rick and Daryl walk off, and I go to follow when Michonne stops me, "Hey, are you okay?" I shrug, "As best as I can be." She looked towards the direction of Rick, "What was that about?" I laugh, "What do you mean?" She rolls her eyes, "Madison, you can tell me what's going on." My eyes fill with tears, "Michonne, I'm pregnant. It's...It's" I began to sob and Michonne hugs me, "You listen to me Madison, the next time I see that son of a bitch, I'm going to kill him. For what he's done to all of us, including you." She wipes my eyes and gives me a small squeeze before wrapping her arm around me and we head back into the prison.

Daryl POV

I walk over to see Glenn fixing a fence, "Hey! You see Merle around?" Glenn looks back at me before going back to fixing the gate. I throw my crossbow on the ground and go to help Glenn, "He say he was sorry yet? 'Cause he is. He's gonna make it right. I'm gonna make him. There's got to be a way. Just needs to be a little forgiveness is all." We finish placing the gate and Glenn nods, "He tied me to a chair, beat me, and threw a walker in the room. Maybe I could call it even. But he-- Had Maggie terrified. And he took Madison to a man who terrorized her, raped her. I care more about them than I care about me." He goes to turn away and I yell to him, "Madison's pregnant, you know?" He comes back to me, "I'm sorry, what?" I shrug, "She's pregnant." Glenn nods angrily, "Perfect. Just perfect." He walked off again.

I head down the hallway when I hear noises, "Merle. You down here? Merle." I walk in the room and he turns to me, "Hey, little brother." "What the hell?" I question him about not answering me. He shrugs, "I was just about to holler back at ya." "What you doing down here?" I ask him and he shrugs again, "Just looking for a little crystal meth." I go to tell him he shouldn't but he waves me off, "Yeah, yeah, I know. Shit mess my life up when everything is going so sweet, right?" I sigh, "You talk to Rick yet?" I hated this plan Rick had, Madison was like the sister I never had. Her and Michonne are one of us, and we don't just give up family. He nods, "Yeah. Oh, yeah. I'm in. But, uh, he ain't got the stomach for it. He's gonna buckle. You know that, right?" I shrug, "Yeah. If he does, he does." Merle looks to me, "You want him to?" I wanted to say yes, but I'd never show my sensitive side to Merle, he'd make fun of me. I shrug, "Whatever he says goes. Man," Merle laughs, "Do you even possess a pair of balls, little brother? Are they even attached? I mean, if they are, they belong to you? You used to call people like that sheep. What happened to you?" Merle had made me angry, "What happened with you, Madison, Glenn and Maggie?" Merle looks down, "I've done worse. You need to grow up. Things are different now. Your people look at me like I'm the devil... grabbing up those lovebirds and the Queen Bee like that, huh? Now y'all want to do the same damn thing I did-- snatch people up and deliver them to the Governor, just like me." Merle pauses, "Yeah. People do what they got to do or they die." I shake my head, "Can't do things without people anymore, man." Merle scoffs, "Maybe these people need somebody like me around, huh? Do their dirty work. The bad guy. Yeah, maybe that's how it is now, huh? How does that hit you?" I sigh placing a hand on his shoulder, "I just want my brother back." He pushes me off him, "Get out of here, man."