88

Joey's POV
I mopped the floor as I heard Dawn's voice from behind us. We continued mopping as we both actively listened. "That's your plan, huh?" Dawn asked O'Donnell. He scoffs, "Look, we are doing everything we can. Licari is out in the sedan right now. If there is a sign of Noah, we are going to find him." Dawn rolls her eyes, "You just told me that your plan was counting on him screwing up." There is a moment of silence before Dawn chuckles, "That's some active police work right there. Was there anything else?" O'Donnell scoffs, "Yes, actually, there was. The patient in exam room two, she was half dead when I brought her in. She's not looking so good." I tuned in as we both know they were talking about Carol. "This ain't Pin the Tail On the Donkey. Are we really gonna keep wasting valuable resources on this lady?" O'Donnell asks her which pisses me off causing me to turn around to them, "How much electricity does your DVD take?" Both officers look at me. O'Donnell scoffs, "Excuse me?" I shrug walking over to him, "We have very limited resources here. You charge it every day." O'Donnell looks over to Dawn, "Are you kidding me?" "Joey." Dawn warns but I continue, "That woman has been here one day." "Joey." Dawn tries again but I look at her, "What good is this place if it doesn't try to save people? That's what you said. So what I'm hearing is that rule applies to some and not all?" Dawn looks to O'Donnell, "Turn off the machines. Tell Edwards to take the patient off of his rounds. If she pulls through on her own, then fine. But you're right. She's not worth the effort." O'Donnell gives me a smirk before walking out of the room. Dawn sighs looking to me, "You just killed that woman. Who do you think I have to side with?" I glare at her, "Tell him. Tell him you changed your mind." Dawn shakes her head, "You don't know how fragile this thing is. There's nothing I can do." I scoff, "That's bullshit. You can't just keep looking the other way and expecting this place to turn around, be for the greater good as you love to say." Dawn reaches into her pocket handing me a key, "I can't do anything so you'll just have to do it. You're gonna save that woman's life. This is to the drug locker. I don't even trust Edwards with this. So take it. Prove me wrong, but when you mess this up. That women's blood is on your hands, not mine." Dawn's radio chirped up, "It's Shepherd. I'm on roof detail. Just heard a g*n maybe a mile north-northeast." Dawn holds her button down responding, "Grab Lamson, take a car and track it down." "Yes, ma'am." The voice responds before cutting out. "Why are you doing this?" I asked her a bit confused. Dawn shrugged? "I thought you girls were weak. You've proved me wrong."

I quickly got Beth filling her in on how she had to help me save Carol. We quickly went to Dr. Edwards office and knocked on the door. "Beth. Joey." He answered opening the door. "Can we?" Beth asks and Dr. Edwards nods, "Yeah, sure." Beth and I walk in. Beth looks to me nodding. I look to Dr. Edwards, "The woman in exam room two, what medicine would you give her?" Dr. Edwards looked at us confused, "Dawn called it." I nodded, "I know, but if you could, what would you give her?" He sighed, "She was in a car accident. She suffered internal injuries. It's just a guessing game." Beth glared at him, "So guess." Dr. Edwards looked to the two of us, "You have the key.Did you take it or did she give it to you? Because if she gave it to you, she did not do it out of the kindness of her heart." Beth shook her head, "Don't. Just tell me what medicine." Dr. Edwards sighed walking away from us, "I was trying to save my life. I'm still wondering if I did." He sighed again before turning back to us, "Epinephrine drip, five milligrams. She won't wake up right away, but it'll ease her blood pressure so she'll have a shot." Beth and I went to leave the room but Dr. Edwards voice stopped us momentarily, "Hey. Good luck."

Mads POV

We gave Noah a gun and sent him to stir up some noise to draw the officers towards us. We waited until we saw them start to cuff Noah. Rick whistles, "Hands." The officers turn towards us with their guns pointed at us. "What do you want?" The female officer asks us. The male officer nods, "Whatever this is, we can help." Rick steps closer, "You do what we say, we don't hurt you." The male cop nods surrendering, "Okay." The female follows. Rick nods, "Good. Now turn around. Put your gun on the floor and kneel." They do as Rick says and we all walk over cuffing them and taking their weapons. I walk over to Noah and cut the binds on his hands. "We need to talk. There's water if you need some and food." Rick tells them. Daryl stands the man up and he looks to Rick, "Mind if I ask you something?" Rick gives him a glare in response and the man continues, "The way you talk... the way you carry yourself... were you a cop?" Rick doesn't say anything giving the man his answer. He nods, "Believe it or not, I was, too." Noah looks to Rick and I, "That's Lamson. He'll be down for this. He's one of the good ones." Suddenly we are interrupted by a car heading right towards us and they begin firing. We quickly retaliate firing our rifles ducking for cover. The cops quickly jump into the back seat and they begin to drive off. "No!" I scream as I duck out of cover firing and popping on of the tires. I run after the car as the group follows me.

We run around the corner to see the car we shot at empty and melted walkers scattered across the ground. "Madison." Ricks voice stopped me from going any further. We see the two cops run across and we run after them. I look behind to see that Daryl wasn't with us. Seeing as the two cops had the rest of the group with them, I double back to try and find Daryl. As I head back to the open area I see the cop that shot at us trying to feed Daryl to a walker as Daryl struggles to get him off. I quickly run over to the cop and fire at the walker he was pushing Daryl to before kicking him hard off of Daryl. I point my gun at the man as he slowly stands, "Okay, you win, bitch." I nod, "You're damn right I win." I continue to hold my gun up before Daryl looks at me, "Mads, three is better than two." I nod before looking back at the cop, "Your lucky day asshole, looks like you get to live."

"Your friend, what's his name?" Shepard asks us as we walked them back to the warehouse. I look back at her, "You're not talking to him unless he talks to you." Shepard sighs, "But I need to talk to him. Your plan is going to get me and my friends killed." "We're gonna make it work." Sasha told her. "It would work if you had different cops to trade. Dawn's running Grady into the ground. A bunch of us want her out and she knows it. Pretty sure she knows we want Lamson to replace her, too." Shepard tells us as we stop. Licari shakes his head, "Dawn doesn't know that." Shepard looks at him then to us, "She might. And she's smart. So there's a good chance you can't make this deal work and that'll leave us all dead. But if you let us go, we'll take care of Dawn ourselves and then we'll let your friends go and this is over." It didn't seem to make 100% sense to me, if they all wanted Dawn out so badly, why didn't they take over. If all the officers felt that way, they could take her down. Something about their whole place made me feel uneasy. Lamson shakes his head, "No, we're not gonna do that."Shepard looks at him with wide eyes, "Do you want to die?" He shakes his head, "No. I just need you to shut up right now." Lamson looks back at us, "You can make this work. But you've got to be able to talk to her." Sasha nods, "Noah told us all about her." Lamson sighs, "I've known her for eight years, ma'am. I know this woman. And my only interest is peaceful resolution, not dying, and sleeping in my bed tonight. So, please, let me help you. Please." Daryl waves to Rick, "Hey, Rick. You're gonna want to hear this."