28

Mads POV

I walk over to Joey lowering her gun, she falls into my arms sobbing looking over to her dad's body. "It's okay Jo, we're gonna be okay." I sob. "He's gone. He's really gone." She sobs and I rub her back. I stand up and Joey and I walk over to Shane's body and kneel down next to him. I pick up his hand, and slip his wedding band off of his finger. I unclasp his lucky 22 necklace and look over to Joey before placing the necklace around her neck, "He will always be with you baby. He loved you more than anything." She nodded crying as she looked down to the necklace. "Are you guys bit too?" Carl asked Rick and I and we shook our heads, "No." "Shane was." Carl said pointing to my dead husband. "That wasn't Shane. You know that." Rick says coming over to help me up, but I slap his hand away. I was hurting, and maybe it wouldn't make sense to some people, but he's gone. Someone I loved was gone, and there was nothing I could do to bring him back. I would never see the man I married, the man I raised my child with, again. "Used to be. What happened? You guys attacked? I mean, I--I heard a gunshot, but I didn't see any walkers nearby. How did Shane die?" Carl asks and a sob escapes out of me. We hear walkers growling and look to see a herd of walkers coming towards the farm. "Oh my god. Go go go go go go go go!" Rick yells pushing us all forward. "NO! I can't leave him!" I scream and Rick grabs my shoulders, "Madison, he's gone! You have Joey to worry about right now, snap out of it!" I quickly grab Joey and we sneaking towards the farm. "We--we gotta get to the house, tell the others." I tell Rick and he shakes his head, "You're not thinking right. We'll never get through that. Can't go around. Carl, Joey, stay close. Go!" The kids run only slightly ahead of us, towards the barn. We shut the door, placing the wood plank to hold the door, Rick pours gasoline then looks to me and the kids, "All right, here we go. Come on. Hurry. Oh shit. All right. Okay. Up there. Hurry" He points to the ladder and the kids, "Well, what about you?" "I'll be right here." I shake my head, "I'm not leaving you!" He grabs my face and looks to me, "Madison, listen to me. Drop the lighter when I say. We'll stop some of them from reaching the house  and distract the others, so at least we'll have a chance. Hey hey hey, look at me. You can do this. Carl...I love you." Rick runs over to guide the walkers into the barn as I climb the ladder, "Hey! Hey! You want some?! Come and get it! Come on! Come on! Come on! Over here! Come on, over here. Come on, over here! Mads, now!" I quickly drop the lighter and the barn starts to catch on fire. Rick quickly climbs up the ladder ushering us to the side of the barn. We see the RV and wave our hands around, "Hey! Here! Get in here! Put it right there! Come on!" We climb onto the RV and I hear screaming, I look down to see Jimmy being eaten alive. "Carl, Now! All right, go!" Rick yells to Carl as they jump off the RV. I jump off the RV and look up to Joey, "Baby, you've gotta jump. Momma will catch you." I reach my arms out, and Joey jumps into them. I quickly put her down and look to see Rick is no where around us, just walkers. I turn to Joey, "We've gotta get out of here. You follow me and do as I say okay?" She nods and I look around for a way out, until I finally see an opening. I grab Joey's hand and I run for it, shooting walkers left and right. We run back to the farm as Rick is about to shut the door to his truck, "Rick!" I scream and he pauses. I jump into the back of the truck then I pull Joey in and bang on the top of the truck signaling for him to go.

We sat in the back of the truck as it drove forward, just thinking about what had happened only an hour ago. I looked down at his wedding band on my necklace and I felt the tears rising in my eyes again. He wasn't a bad guy, this world just brought out the worst in him. He never thought or acted like that before the world went to shit. I look over to see Joey rubbing the necklace with her fingers, "Have I ever told you the story about that necklace?" She shook her head and I smiled, "My freshman year of high school, two years before you were born-" She cut me off, "You had me when you were in high school?" I laugh, "Baby, I'm 28 and you're 12. That means I was 16 when you were born. Back to the story, your dad was in his junior year, and he was a football player and I was a cheerleader." She laughed, "I don't believe it! You did cheerleading?" I nodded, "I did until I found out I was pregnant. Anyways, it was after the first game of the season and our team had won, and Rick told me that he wanted to take me and one of his buddies out to celebrate. Well, that special buddy was your dad. The moment we met it was love at first sight." "What does all this have to do with the necklace?" She asked me and I laughed, "Patience, Joey. I'm getting there. Your dad and I started dating, and for our year anniversary, I wanted to do something special for him. The only thing that meant anything to him was me and football, of course until you were born. So I got him that necklace with his football number on it. And since the day I gave it to him he's worn it ever since." She smiled looking down at the necklace then her smile fades, "I'm gonna miss him." I pulled her into me so that her head was resting on my shoulder, "Me too, kiddo. Me too."