27

Mads POV
We were carrying boxes of our supplies into the farmhouse, Hershel was allowing us to move into the house cause the winter would be very cold. "Gonna be tight 16 people in one house." Rick says to Hershel as I reach the truck. "Don't worry about that. With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up.." Hershel trails off. "With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell." Maggie adds. Hershel nods, "She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago." I pick up my box and take it into the house. I go to place it in my corner when a hand on my arm stops me, I look up to see Patricia. "Hershel wants yours and Joey's stuff in the extra bedroom we have upstairs." I shake my head, "I couldn't. We're okay in this corner down here." She smiles, "He knew you'd say no, but really we insist. A child should have a bed, and little Joey doesn't go too far from her momma." I smile and thank her before taking our stuff to the room.

I walk back out the house as I hear Andrea ask, "What about patrols?" "Let's get this area locked down first. After that, Shane'll assign shifts while me and Daryl take Randall offsite and cut him loose." Rick says. Shane scoffs, "We're back to that now?" "It was the right plan first time around. Poor execution." Rick says giving Shane a look. Neither of them told me what happened that day, but I could only assume they got into a fight from all the blood on their faces. Shane laughs, "That's a slight understatement." "You don't agree, but this is what's happening. Swallow it. Move on." Rick says sternly. Shane scoffs, "You know that Dale's death and the prisoner--that's two separate things, right? You wanna take Daryl as your wingman, be my guest." "Thank you." Rick said and Shane nodded, "You got it." I saw Rick and Hershel talking so I walked over to them to hear Rick, "He's turning over a new leaf. Madison. When I'm out with Daryl, help Hershel keep an eye on things around here." "Me?" I ask and he nods, "Shane's got a way of letting things get out of hand, especially when he's all torqued up." I roll my eyes, "I think we're all a bit torqued up at this point." "If you're staying here permanently, he's got to understand that it's what Rick and I say, not whatever he wants." Hershel says. Rick nods to my ring, "I see you two are back together." I nod, "We're starting over." "You know he's not a bad guy. He's just his own worst enemy." Rick says and I roll my eyes, "You want me to babysit Shane?" Rick sighs, "I need to make sure every time I leave the farm all hell doesn't break loose." I scoff, "Then maybe you should stop leaving." I may or may not have hard feelings towards Rick when he said that he can't talk to me anymore, yes I have Shane and I love him, but Rick and I have been friends since we're in diapers, and told me he can't talk to me anymore. "Will you keep an eye on things?" He asks me and I roll my eyes, "Of course."

"Take him out to senoia--hour there,hour back, give or take. We may lose the light, but we'll be halfway home by then." Rick says to Daryl. "This little pain in the ass will be a distant memory. Good riddance." Daryl says making me laugh. "Carol's putting together some provisions for him,enough to last a few days. That thing you did last night-" Rick said talking about Dale. I looked down, part of me thought I'd wake up this morning and realize it was all a dream. "Ain't no reason you should do all the heavy lifting."Daryl says. "So are you good with all this?" Rick asks and Daryl gives him a nod. Daryl walks off to go pee, as Shane walks up to us, "Hey, man, you seen Carl lately?" Rick nods, "He's inside with his mother." "Look, he came to me. Okay, I wasn't supposed to say anything, but he was out in the swamps yesterday and he came across a walker stuck in the mud. He got scared, run off." Shane said looking down. "The same walker that killed Dale?" I asked softly. Shane sighs, "That's the one." Rick rubs a hand through his hair, "I'll have Lori talk to him." Shane shakes his head, "Look, I think--I think he wants to talk to his father." "Well, I need this Randall thing done already." Rick says sternly. Shane rolls his eyes, "Man, that needs to wait,okay?" Rick shrugs, "It's my call." "How about I ride out with Daryl? Be good for us to spend a little time together. Mads can come too." Shane suggests. "Nah, I need you here, but if Madison would like to go, she can." Rick says looking to me. Shane laughs, Don't think I'll handle it right, huh? But my wife can?" Rick shakes his head, "Didn't say that." I step in front of Shane putting my hands on his chest, "Shane stop it." He looks over my shoulder at Rick, "What you say? You know, your son--he gave me this. You should get that back to Daryl, huh?" Shane says walking around me handing Rick a gun before laughing, "Freeing that prisoner is more important to you than Carl." Shane walks over and I look back to Rick, "I'm sorry." Rick shakes his head, "You don't have to apologize for him he's a grown man." I roll my eyes, "Yeah, but sometimes he forgets to do it."