40

Madison POV

"We need as many guns that were in here, ammo too." Michonne says twirling a bullet between her fingers. Rick sighs, "Yeah we do." I roll my eyes at the two, "We're trying. It's not our fault someone else had the same idea. Rather than arguing about it, how about we go look somewhere else." Rick looks over to me almost surprised, but then shakes it off, "There's a few places out on the main street ... bars, a liquor store. Owners had a gun or two behind the counter that people didn't know about. I did. I signed the permits. They might still be there." It was a good idea, as I would think not very many people would choose a liquor store over a place like this to find survival gear. Michonne looked away from Rick, but he looked to her, "You got a problem with that?" She shook her head, "No Rick. I don't have a problem." I scoff walking out the door, "Let's just go, we're burning daylight."

Rick caught up to me as we walked, "Hey, is everything alright Mads?" I look at him confused, "What do you mean? I'm fine." Rick scratches the back of his head, "I think as your best friend I can say this-" He starts before I cut him off, "Watch your words, Grimes. Depending on what you say, it won't matter who you are." Rick laughs, "I was just going to say you've been irritable these past few days. I'm not the only one who has noticed, by the way." I look over to him, "Have you looked around Rick? The dead are up walking, I think the least of my problems are being irritable. Besides, did you ever think I'm just tired of people's shit?" Rick laughs, "Haha I love you." Silence falls between us as neither of us know what to say. Rick breaks the silence, "I didn't mean it in that way, not that I don't feel it like that way, but-" I wave him off, "Rick, it's fine. I want to be honest with you, and right now I don't think either of us are ready for a relationship right now. I mean your wife just died and my husband died not that long ago, and neither of us are in the right space." Rick nods walking ahead of me and I sigh, great. "Are you and dad fighting?" Carl asks me. I shrug, "It's complicated. Yes and no." Carl looks up to me, "I think my dad likes you." I laugh, "You think so?" Carl shrugs, "He treats you like how he treated mom before all this." I look down as I'm reminded of Lori and her death.

We continue to walk up the street until we see a street block that is barricaded with various spikes and signs. There were small animal in cages by the spikes, it was to lure the walkers into the spikes. "It looks like someone's already make this theirs." Michonne states as we all look around. Rick shrugs, "Doesn't mean they found what we're looking for." I shake my head, "Rick, I don't have a good feeling about this." He looks back at me, "It's fine. Couple of the places are just up ahead. Let's get in and get the hell out of here." I took a deep breath, trying not to get angry with him. We slipped under the rope and started walking through the maze. We slip under another rope and Rick points to a building, " There. Tyrell's. A shotgun and two handguns. License issued to Tyrell Debbs." Carl grabs Rick's arm then points to a walker behind us. Michonne reaches for his sword, but Rick stops her, "Wait. She'll get caught." We watch the walker walk closer to the trap before walking straight into the rope, getting caught. A loud gunshot rings out and the walker drops to the ground. I quickly pull out my hand gun and point it towards the source. The man with the rifle points it at us and yells, "Hands! You drop the gun!" He was talking about me. Rick looks at me, "Madison, lower it." I eye him, "I can make the shot, or at least take him down." "Or you can start something worse, lower it." Rick orders and I huff before putting my hands up. "Now you drop what you got and you go. Your guns, your shoes, and that sword. All of it. 10 seconds." I could've made the shot and now he's going to steal resources we can't afford to lose. "Run for the car now." Rick says to us as the man starts to count with 10. "Dad." Carl tries and I look over to him, "Rick we need that rifle, I can make the shot." 9...8...Rick goes to shake his head, but Michonne interrupts him, "I think I can get up there." 7...6..."Carl, Madison. Go!" Rick yells as he fires a shot, and the sniper returns fire. Rick runs behind a truck, as I grab Carl and duck behind a car. I peak over to see Rick reloading his gun, then I look over to Carl, "You're going to stay here. I will help Michonne and your dad, alright?" He shakes his head, "I'm staying with you." I give him a glare, "Carl Grimes, you are going to stay here where you are safe. Do you understand me? This isn't some game, it's life or death." Carl shrugs angrily. I peak over to see the sniper was now on ground level with us and Rick was in danger, he was barely covered and only had one bullet. I quickly moved to a ledge and Carl of course followed. I needed to have a conversation with this boy, cause clearly the one I had he didn't understand. I hear the footsteps and shots of the sniper getting louder and as I turn ready to fire I hear a shot come from behind me and I look back to see Carl pointing his gun. Rick looks at Carl and I, "I told you both to go to the car. I didn't want either of you to do this." I walk over to Rick, "I'm not your child, nor am I your wife. You can't just tell me what I am going to do." Rick gives me an angry look, "I'm just trying to protect you." I close my eyes softly before opening them again, "I don't need protection. I can protect myself." Rick walks past me and kneels down to the man, "He's wearing body armor. He's alive." I scoff, "Do we care? This guy was shooting at us." Rick pulls the mask off the man, and looks like he has seen a ghost, "Yeah."