23

A/N: Long chapter, enjoy my lovelies ! Also thank you all for 50 votes, I know to many it doesn't mean much, but to me it means everything!
Mads POV
I stared at the body of the human I just killed, in disbelief. "Holy shit." Glenn said looking around. I feel hands on my face and Rick's face is in front of me, "Madison? Joey? Are you okay?" I look up to meet his blue eyes and his face full of concern. "I had to Rick, he was going to kill you." I say softly. He nods, "You kill the living to protect the people you care about." I look down to Joey who looks terrified and I rub her hair softly. "You two okay?" Rick asks Hershel and Glenn and they both nod. Hershel stands up and moves towards the door, "Let's head back." We all move towards the door, before we see car lights shine through the window. "Car. Car. Get down." Rick says as he pulls Joey and I down. The engine stops and the I hear doors open. "Dave? Tony? They said over here?" A man yells out. I look over at the two dead bodies and I curse under my breath. "Yeah, I'm telling you, man, I heard gunshots." Another man yells. "I saw roamers two streets over. Might be more around here." One man points out. "It's hot. We gotta get out of here." The voice responds. "Dave! Tony!" A voice yells before being shushed, "Shut up, you idiot! You wanna attract 'em? Just stick close. We're gonna find 'em." They split up looking for the two dead bodies that are with us. After sitting there for a while Glenn whispers, "Why won't they leave?" "Would you?" Hershel whispers back. Which I understand, when Joey was out there, I didn't stop running when I heard the gunshot. "We can't sit here any longer. Let's head out the back and make a run to the car." Rick says looking at us. We slowly start to get up when a gunshot causes us to pause, "What happened?" "Roamers, I nailed 'em. I cleared those buildings. You guys get this one?" The man asks and another scoffs, "We're looking for Dave and Tony and no one checks the damn bar?"

Footsteps approach and the door slowly opens before Glenn and I slam against it holding it shut. "What?" The voice asked. "Someone pushed it shut. There's someone in there." The voice answers before yelling towards us, "Yo, is someone in there? Yo, if someone's in there, we don't want no trouble. We're just looking for our friends." We all remained quiet, too scared to answer. "What do we do?" One asks and another suggests, "Bum rush the door?" One of the three men sigh, "No, we don't know how many are there. Just relax." He tells the others before yelling loudly to us, "We don't want any trouble. We're just looking for our friends. If something happened, tell us. This place is crawling with corpses. If you can help us not get killed, I'd appreciate it. You're bugging. I'm telling you nobody's in there." The man scoffed, "Someone guard the door. If they're in there, they might know where Dave and Tony are." The footsteps walk away before stopping when Rick yells, "They drew on us!" I look at him wide-eyed and whispered, "Rick what the hell are you doing? They were leaving." The footsteps came back, "Dave and Tony in there? They alive?" "No." I yell back looking to Rick. The man scoffed, "I'm not leaving, I'm not telling Jane. I'm not gonna go back and tell them that Dave and Tony got shot by some asshole and a bitch in a bar." "Your friends drew on us! They gave us no choice! I'm sure we've all lost enough people, done things we wish we didn't have to, but It's like that now. You know that! So let's just chalk this up to what it was--wrong place, wrong.." Rick is cut off by a shotgun blast shooting out the window of the door. Glass falls down, and I cover Joey's head and arms. Rick grabs us and pushes us to the back door, "Get outta here! Go!" Rick turns back and returns fire giving us all a cover to run to the back. "Hey! We all know this is not gonna end well! There's nothing in it for any of us! You guys just--just back off,no one else gets hurt!"

Gun fire is all I can hear as we wait for Rick to get to the back. After a minute I get worried, I go to run back to the front to get Rick, when I feel strong arms pulling me back. I turn to look and see Rick and I hug him, "Thank God, I thought I lost you." A small smile appeared on his face before we quickly got back to the others. "I'll hold 'em here. You two cover Glenn and Joey. See  if you can make it to the car. Tell him--tell him to pull up back. We'll run for it, get the hell out of here." Rick says and I look at him wide-eyed, "I just got her back Rick." I feel a small hand on my arm, "I can do it, momma." I look over to see my little Joey look not so little anymore, being out there all by herself, she had to learn to be independent. "You want me to cover Glenn and Joey?" Hershel asked Rick. He nods, "You missed all that gun training. It could've come in handy now." Hershel chuckles, "Nah, I can shoot. I just don't like to." Hershel, Joey, and I walk to the door where Glenn was, and he turns and points his gun at us before realizing it was us. "Sorry. Sorry." He exhales. I wave him off, "Rick wants you and Joey to try for the car." His eyes widen looking to Joey, before back at me, "Try?" Hershel nods, "You'll try and succeed. Mads and I will cover you two." Glenn scoffs, "That's a great plan." Joey steps forward, "Come on Glenn, We can do it." He looks to her and nods. They open the door and the two slowly step out and cautiously walk up the alley towards the car. Two men appear out of nowhere and open fire on Joey and Glenn. In two shots I shoot both of the men, watching their bodies fall to the ground. That's three people I've killed, all in one day. I look back to see Glenn and Joey gone, "Where did they go?" Hershel pointed to the dumpster. We hear footsteps behind us and Rick appears beside me, "What happened?" "He fired. He must've hit Glenn or Joey. They jumped behind the dumpster. Doesn't look like anyone is moving." Hershel answered and I looked towards the dumpster in hope. She wasn't hit, she couldn't be given back to me just for it to end like this. "You guys hit? Are you two hit?" Rick whisper yelled to them. "No. No." Glenn responded. Thank God, I think before looking back to the guys I shot to see all the walkers coming, "We've got more company, we can't stay here!" Rick grabs my arm softly, pulling me with him, "It's all right. The car's right there." We go to move towards the car when we hear the gunshots, Rick pulls me down against him. I look over to see Joey already looking to me, she's okay, Glenn will ensure nothing will happen. Tires screech and I look over to see a truck in front of the building the guy was shooting us, "Let's get out of here! Roamers all over the place! Hurry up! We gotta get out of here!" "What about Sean and Anthony?" The guy on the roof asked. Dave, Sean, and Anthony are the names of the people I killed. "They shot 'em. We gotta go. Roamers are everywhere. Jump!" The man in the truck yelled to him. The kid jumps off the roof, but doesn't make it. Loud screaming fills our ears as the truck pulls away, they left the kid behind.