16

We catch our breath before we take off down the hallway, I hear a rattling and I look back to see the walkers breaking through the gate, "Son of a bitch." I go to run around the corner to see that it's a dead end hallway. Shane pulls me into the door to the room they ran into to see the gym. The walkers are on our tail, we look around and I look over to the bleachers that are pushed back. "The bleachers, we can climb them." We all run over to them and I quickly climb up them, Shane following me and then Otis. We stand up and look down at all of the walkers reaching up at us trying to bite us. "Those windows, what's on the other side?" Shane says pointing to the windows. "About a 20-foot drop with nothing to catch you, maybe some bushes, then the athletic field." Otis answers. 20 FEET??? We're dead, we're going to die. Shane sighs, "We just need enough time. We got to get up there. We got to get 'em open and get out." I look at him like he's crazy, "A 20-foot drop is gonna kill us, unless we land in the bushes, and there's a small chance to land in the bushes." They both ignore me, "Not me. Maybe you two." "Hey hey hey-" Shane starts before Otis cuts him off, "Come on, man, look at me. You really think I can squeeze through one of them tiny windows? They'd be all over us. Look, we lay down some fire to get a head start. You two stay here. I hop down and draw them away. That gives you the chance to get up the bleachers and out a window." "And where do you go? You'll die if you stay here." I ask him. He shines his flashlight towards some stairs, "Locker room down those steps." Shane shakes his head, "Looks like a good way to get trapped." "It's got windows too, and more my size. I get out through one, I double back, we all meet up out on the field." He tells us the game plan. I nod and Shane just looks at him, "You're a crazy son of a bitch, ain't you?" Otis sighs looking at the two of us, "Just trying to do right for that boy." I pat his shoulder, "Thank you Otis. Really." "You take three shots. And you go. After that we fire. We'll lay down a cover for your. We'll get you a lead." Shane says and Otis nods taking a deep breath. Otis takes his three shots before he runs over to the side and jumps down headed for the stairs. Shane and I start to shoot the walkers closest to Otis before Otis disappeared down the stairs. Shane and I run across and he pulls my hand toward him. I turn to see fear in Shane's eyes before he spoke to me, "Madison, if anything happens to us, I want you to know I'm sorry for everything. and... I love you." "I love you too Shane." I say tears falling down my face. He pulls me in and kisses me, and to my surprise I kiss back. Maybe it was the impending thought that I was going to die. He pulls away and looks at me, "I'm so sorry." I look at him confused before I fling backwards and my body breaks through the window falling. I fall and land on my feet before falling over onto my back hard, and I swear I heard cracks. I slowly stand up and I look up at the window to see Shane dangling out of the window being held by a walker. I pull my gun out and shoot the walker, forcing it to release Shane. Shane falls and lands on his ankle hurting it, I pull him up putting his arm over my shoulder and we start limping away.

We sneak around quietly until we are stopped by a walker. Shane shoots it, then we limp away as fast as we can. I shoot 3 walkers that got too close. We leaned up against a fence for us to reload, and walkers pushed us off the fence before we had the chance to. We pull out our guns to shoot the two walkers in front of us before we hear two gun shots and the walkers fall. It was Otis, thank God. We head over to him quickly. "Man, I thought I'd lost you. That was my last rifle round." Shane nods, "Mine too." "Come on. Come on. Come on." Otis says before we walk off. Shane and I were limping together and Otis was falling behind us, "Come on, man. We need a way out." Otis was gasping on his breath, "Just let me catch my breath." I look back on the walkers catching up to us, only getting closer by the minute, and shake my head, "We don't have time for that!" Shane looks back at the walkers, "Oh, shit." "Got to get to the street, double back to the truck." Otis says and I nod. "Look, we ain't gonna make it, okay?" Shane says to us falling over. I shake my head, "Shane we have to try. For Joey. For Carl." Otis nods, "You're lady's right. Come on, get up." "Okay. How many rounds you got left?" Shane asks us as we help him up. "Four." He answers. I look at my clip to see I had three, "Three. You?" Shane sighs, "Five and one in the pipe." We turn around, I shoot my three, Otis shoots three, and Shane shoots four. I'm out and the guys have one round each. "I'm out." I tell the men putting my pistol away. "Down to my last." Otis says. We pause turning to look at the walkers following us. "Me too," Shane pauses, "I'm sorry." Otis and I both look to Shane confused, then Shane shoots Otis in the leg, Otis screaming out in pain. I freeze in horror. Shane reaches down to Otis trying to pull the back pack of supplies off of his back, "Will you give it--ah! Give it!" Otis pulls Shane to the ground, screaming in pain. "I'll kill you." Shane screams. Shane starts to kick Otis off of him, before Otis grabs a handful of Shane's hair. "MADISON! GRAB THE GUN!" Shane screams to me, and I quickly run over and pick up Rick's gun and Shane rips it out of my hands. Shane hits Otis with the butt of the gun, "Let go of me! Let go!" I stand there in pure shock, and terror before Shane rips his head away, allowing Otis to rip a chunk of his hear out. Shane grabs the backpack of the ground. Otis's screams fill my ears, Shane grabs me and puts the backpack on my back. I look over to Otis struggling on the ground then back to Shane yelling in my face. I feel myself being pulled away as the walkers start to devour Otis, all I can hear is his screaming as I'm being pulled away by Shane.

We got to the truck, and I was all I could do was stand there in shock. "Madison, in the truck." He says to me, and when I don't move he yells now, and I flinch back. He limps over to me and opens the truck door and pushes me inside. He leans against the truck moving to the other side, before climbing inside. Shane starts the truck then looks over to me and puts a hand on top of mine and I pull away. "Madison-" He starts before I cut him off sobbing, "You killed him. You killed Otis!" He grabs my face forcing me to look at him, "I had to! We weren't getting out of there otherwise Madison!" I feel the tears start to fall, "You don't know that! What's everyone gonna think when we come back and they find out you killed him?!?" He shakes his head, "They're not going to know. All they'll know is that the place was overrun, and the walkers got him." I look at him in shock and shook my head away from him, "We can't do that! We have to tell them the truth, if you won't I will." His eyes shoot over to me, and before I am able to react I feel his hands around my neck. "Shane, you're hurting me." I get out barely able to breath. He takes one hand off of my throat and points at me, "You say one word, one single word about what happened Madison, and I will kill you. You understand me? I will kill you. You do as I say now, you hear? You're mine that means whatever I want, and you better tell that Glenn that too. Do you understand me?" I nod in fear, and he lets go as I breath heavily to try and catch my breath. "Good, I'm glad to hear you understand." He says putting his hand on my thigh and I don't pull away in fear that he would hurt me. How did I get to where I am today? I had the perfect life, the perfect husband, the perfect child, and now the dead are walking around, my husband is a murderer and puts his hands on me, and my child is missing.