30

Mads POV

"Who the hell are you?" Daryl asks the prisoners with his crossbow pointed at them. "Who the hell are you?" One of the prisoners ask back. I scoff, "We don't have the time for this. We need to get him back to the cell block, where we at least have some medical equipment. Rick help me!" I yelled but got no response. "Why don't you come on out of there? Slow and steady." The prisoner with long dark hair looked down to Hershel, "What happened to him?" "He got bit." I answered iritated. "Bit?" He questioned and I nodded. He pulled out his gun and Daryl stepped forward, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy now. Nobody needs to get hurt." I scoff, "We need to get out of here now or Hershel is going to die!" "You have medical supplies?" Glenn asks as he runs back to where the prisoners cam out of. "Whoa, where do you think you're going?" The bald African-American prisoner asked. "Who the hell are you people, anyway?" The long haired one asked. I held the almost red sheet now tighter to Hershel's stump. "Don't look like no rescue team." An older man with a weird mustache said. I laughed, "If a rescue team is what you're waiting for, don't." "Come on, we gotta go. Now! Come on! I need a hand here, Madison. One, two, three, go!" Rick yells as we lift Hershel up onto a cart. "T, the door!" I yelled and T-Dog went over to open it. "Are you crazy? Don't open that!" The long haired one yelled. Rick shook him off, "We got this." They open the door and two walkers come through. "Daryl!" Rick yells and I see arrows quickly go through their heads. We get all the way back and Rick yells, "Open the door! It's Hershel! Carl, Joey! Come on." The door opens and everyone looks shocked, and Beth cries. We take him into a cell and lay him down on the mattress. "He got bit." Daryl informs them and Beth cries out, "Oh, my god, he's gonna turn." Lori looks at his leg in shock, "Did you cut it off?" I nod, "I did it. It was me." Lori places a hand on my back, "Maybe you got it in time." I scoff pushing her off of me before walking out of the cell block to the dining area with Daryl, letting Carol take over.

I point my gun at the door as Daryl pointed his crossbow. We waited until we heard the whispers and footsteps, then the prisoners walk through the door. My grip on my gun strengthen as Daryl warns them, "That's far enough." The long haired one scoffed, "Cell Block C. Cell 4--that's mine, gringo. Let me in." I wave one of my hands to the door and sarcastically smiled, "Today's your lucky days, fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia. You're free to go." "What you got going on in there?" The long haired man asked looking past me to the door of the cell block. I step in front of his view as Daryl tells him, "It ain't none of your concern." The long haired man gets mad and pulls his gun out, "Don't be telling me what's my concern." From the way he waves the gun around like that I can tell he thinks he's the shit, but can't back it up. The larger African-American man steps forward to try and calm the man, "Chill, man. Dude's leg is messed up. Besides, we're free now. Why are we still in here?" I nod, "The man's got a point." The bald African-American nods, "Yeah, and I gotta check on my old lady." Long hair guy scoffs, "A group of civilians breaking in to a prison you got no business being in--got me thinking there ain't no place for us to go." I roll my eyes, "Why don't you go find out?" The older man tried calming the situation, "Maybe we'll just be going now." Long hair looks at him before looking back to us, "Hey, we ain't leaving." T-Dog comes up behind us, pointing his gun at them, "You ain't coming in either." Long hair waves his gun around, "Hey, this is my house, my rules. I go where I damn well please." I scoff, "Do that and you'll get a bullet to the head, KK?" "There ain't nothing for you here. Why don't you go back to your own sandbox?" Daryl asks. Rick comes up from behind us, "Hey, everyone relax. There's no need for this." Long hair looks back at the door, "How many of you are in there?" Rick shrugs, "Too many for you to handle." Long hair scoffs, "You guys rob a bank or something? Why don't you take him to a hospital?" I can't help but stiff out a laugh and Rick gives me a glare before looking back to the prisoners, "How long have you been locked in that cafeteria?" "Going on like 10 months." Long haired answered. I'm pretty sure if I've been keeping up correctly the outbreak happened about 10 months ago, so they've been sheltered from the harsh reality. "A riot broke out. Never seen anything like it." The shorter African-American said. "Attica on speed, man." Older man added. "Ever heard about dudes going cannibal, dying, coming back to life? Crazy." The short man says and I laugh, everyday of our lives for the past almost year. "One guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. Told us sit tight, threw me this piece, said he'd be right back." Long hair said showing us the gun that has been previously in our face. "Yeah, and that was 292 days ago." Bald guy added. "94 according to my calcula-" Older man said before Long hair screamed at him to shut up. The bald man sighed, "We were thinking that the Army or the National Guard should be showing up any day now." Rick shook his head, "There is no Army." "What do you mean?" The bald guy asked in shock. Rick nodded, "There's no government, no hospitals, no police. It's all gone." "For real?" The older man asked, frowning. Rick nodded, "Serious." "What about my moms?" The big guy asked and I shrugged. "My kids? And my old lady? Yo, you got a cell phone or something that we can call our families?" Bald man asked an I rolled my eyes. Daryl scoffed, "You just don't get it, do you?" "No phones, no computers. As far as we can see, at least half the population has been wiped out. Probably more." I tell them and Long hair shakes his head, "Ain't no way." I scoff, "No this entire time we've been just lying to you. For shits and giggles, ya know?" Rick pushes me behind him and gestures towards the door, "See for yourself."