64

Rick POV

Carl and I walked along a road, hoping to find somewhere to hold up for the night. I was limping from what the Governor had done to me, and Carl was walking at a faster pace ahead of me. "Carl, slow down." I tell him, but he ignores me and keeps walking. "Carl, stop!" I yell and he halts, "We need to stay together. We got to find a place with food, supplies." I stop placing my hand on his shoulder, "Hey. We're gonna be.." He gives me an angry look and I stop talking and he brushes me off and continues walking forward.

We keep walking until we reach this BBQ shack. I push open the door and look at Carl who has his gun raised, "Wait outside, okay? Keep watch." Carl scoffs, "You keep watch. You can barely stand. I'm not gonna let you go in there alone." I glare at him, "Excuse me?" Carl rolls his eyes, "We've done this before. I'm gonna help you clear it. You should just let me do it myself." I sigh, "Let's go." I push open the door slamming it against the wall. I point my gun up and limp towards the kitchen checking it, "Kitchen's clear." I look to see that Carl went ahead and I grimace as I try to catch up to him. We see a barrier set up and then we see a walker come towards it snarling. I look past the walker to see a shelf behind it, "That might be all that's left." Carl raises his gun, "I can get it from here." I shake my head, "No, it's weak. I'll draw it out. Stay back." I pick up the small axe off the table, I step forward pulling at the barrier and the furniture falls to the ground. I step forward slamming the axe into the walker's head, but it keeps fighting. I try to pull it out, but it's a little stuck, "Damn it." I look over to see Carl raise his gun, I shake my head, "Don't." A loud gunshot goes off and the walker falls to the ground. I look back at him angrily, "I said not to." "You couldn't do it with the axe!" He yelled back. I scoffed, "I had it. Every bullet counts. What if you needed that one later? See what  you can find. Then let's move on." I pulled the axe out of the walker's head and headed to the kitchen to search. I couldn't stop thinking about everything and everyone. Hoping that everyone made it out. That Madison and Joey made it out. I found two water bottles and some snack food. I walk back over to Carl, "Kitchen wasn't empty after all. My  haul. You?" I placed my food in the bag and he walks over placing more food in the bag. He looks up to me, "I win."

We kept walking and it was the same. Carl walked ahead as I limped behind him. I tried to get his attention, "Hey. Hey. Hey." It wasn't until the third hey that he finally stopped. I nodded to the house in front of us, "That one's as good as any." We walked up to the house and I pushed the door open and we pulled our guns out. I started checking the living room and I didn't notice Carl had advanced further than me until I saw him in the next hallway. "Carl." I warned. He looked back at me rolling his eyes, "I got it. All the doors down here are open." "Just stop!" I whisper yelled to him. He slowly turns back at me and starts pounding on the wall, "Hey, asshole! Hey, shitface! Hey-" I cut him off, "Watch your mouth!" He glared at me angrily, "Are you kidding me? If there's one of them down there, they would have come out." I sighed as he went up the stairs. I walked into the kitchen to check it, but it was clear. I shut the fridge that was open and started checking the cabinets.

As Carl was tying a knot on the door, I started pushing the couch against the door. Carl looked at me and rolled his eyes, "I tied the door shut." I continued to push the couch to the door, "We don't need to take any chances." He motions to it, "You don't think it'll hold?" "Carl." I warned but he continued, "It's a strong knot. Clove hitch. Shane taught me. Madison's husband. Remember him?" I stood up tall and glare at him, "Yeah, I remember him. I remember him every day. There something else you want to say to me?" He stands there for a second until he walks around to the front and helps me push the couch over. I stand up wheezing, struggling, the Governor had to have broken some ribs, "This'll have to do for the night." I take my belt off and sit on the couch. I grab the snacks we found earlier and held them to Carl. He looked over to me, "You gonna have some?" I shook my head, "You should eat." Carl sighed, "We should save it." He grabs one of the couch cushions and walks over to start making his pallet to sleep on. I grab the snack and walk over to him, "Hey." He glares at me, "I don't want any." Getting fed up with how he was acting, I threw it on the ground, "Eat it. Now." I walk past him and up the stairs into the bathroom. I slowly start to take my shirt off, struggling to do so. I begin to wheeze, struggling to catch my breath as I look at myself in the mirror. Looking at what the Governor had done to me, seeing what I went through and what we still lost. We lost everything.