Chapter 33- The New Girl

"Jake." Ally seemed to be frozen for a moment. Her head was filled with contradictory thoughts as she tried to make sense of the situation. First Rebecca's unprecedented apology and now seeing Jake walk towards her caused a creepy feeling surround her nerves. For a moment she thought the couple was mocking her and any moment they would break into fits of laughter.

Rebecca must've read her expression. "He's come to apologize." She heard a whisper beside her. She was staring at him in disbelief judging every step he took towards her.

"What the hell is this? Is this some stupid prank?" Ally shook out of Rebecca's hold and looked at her with contempt filled eyes.

Jake understood her reaction and came closer to them in an effort to calm her. "No... It's not what you think. Just hear me out." He let out in an urgent but hushed tone.

She looked at his distorted expressions searching for any amount of sincerity. Once she was satisfied, she took a comfortable step back from the couple and nodded. "Fine."

He took a deep breadth and started, "I'm sorry I lead you on like that... I never meant to do it. It just sort of happened. I liked the attention you gave me which I was craving to get from Rebecca. But I was just trying to project my feelings for her to you." He looked at the ground and Rebecca rubbed his arm soothingly encouraging him to go on.

"And it… I guess it was just the wrong timing for you to get involved. I swear I never meant to hurt you, Ally." Hearing her name from his mouth pinched her from inside. Hurt feelings were starting to rekindle in her.

Before she could stop herself, a dreading question spilled from her lips. "Why did you kiss me if it didn't mean anything to you?"

"I don't know… I guess I was pretty shocked when you told me what Rebecca did to you. I… I was just showing that I appreciated you."

Ally sighed feeling her nerves calming slightly. The relief she experienced from finally hearing an answer for a question that caused many sleepless nights was unexplainably strange. She heard him mutter a 'Sorry' once again and looked in his expectant eyes.

"What really happened? When you went away I thought you were confronting Rebecca?" Ally demanded to know.

"Intially I did shout at her and asked her why she did it. But the answer that I got was totally shocking." He said as he looked at his girlfriend lovingly. In return she held his hand and smiled. "She said that she was in love with me since the first time we went out and it killed her to see me with someone else."  Rebecca hid her face on the side of his body but was not able to conceal the blush on her face.

"And I only could kiss her after hearing the words I've been wanting to hear for a long time." He confidently concluded his little speech. The scene in front of Ally made her feel uneasy and astonished at the same time. Rebecca was still smiling uncontrollably hiding her face in his chest and he was smiling gazing the beautiful girl in his arms.

Maybe this was what love looked like but still it didn't justify a person's ruthless actions. Her presence didn't matter at that time since they were very contented in each other's company. Whether she accepted his apology or not was irrelevant to their lives. They had moved on and were happy together. It wasn't worth the fight.

"I forgive you, I guess." She was surprised by her own words but hearing them made a burden lift off her shoulder. The two snapped their stunned faces at her.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'm done with this mess."

"Thank you, Ally." Jake proceeded to hug her but she stopped him. "I think that's enough for today."