Chapter 37

Cameron was thrown off the edge after finally hearing those three liberating words. It was like a cool breeze in the dryest drought. It rekindled a hope, a new fighting spirit that maybe the heartache was finally worth it. All his tiredness and weakness vanished and he sat there unknowingly smiling at his serenity sleeping in jeans. She never looked more beautiful, more amazing. His gaze flowed from her tangled black hair to light pink lips appreciating every inch of her face.

"Oh… Ally." He muttered to himself in astonishment gradually rubbing his thumb on her cheeks. She moved at his warm touch and smiled in her slumber. She clasped his hands in between hers making him filled with joy. It was beyond bliss but was truncated by her twisted lips.

Suddenly her eyes shot open and she looked at him in panic. She released his hands and covered her mouth after saying,"I'm gonna throw up."

He came to his senses and helped her into the bathroom attached to the room. She emptied her stomach in the sink while he held her hair back and rubbed circles on her back. "Are you alright?"

She lifted her head but held the sink tightly and he noticed she was very pale. Sweat droplets covered her forehead and she breathed hard. She didn't answer and kept exhaling which raised his worries. "Hey, Ally you alright?" He asked again.

She nodded faintly almost falling to her feet. She was too weak to utter any words and he had to help her limped body back to bed. He sat her down and gave her water to drink. She gulped it down immediately; her breathing rate settling. "How're you feeling?" He asked placing a hand on her cheek.

"Like shit." She answered her eyes closing with the heaviness she was feeling. She pressed her hand over his where it caressed her cheek and fell back to bed. "Your hand's so soft… like a pillow." She murmured closing her eyes and laid down with his hand still between her cheek and the cotton pillow cover.

"Okay…" He trailed off unsurely. He couldn't crouch beside the bed all night and Ally wasn't very happy by the idea that he was trying to remove his hand. So he gave up to her wish and only ten minutes later when she was deep in sleep did he retrieve his hand.  

Cameron gave her one last long look, turned off the lights and left for his room. He could hardly sleep that night as the three words echoed in his mind. But a serious question nagged him. What if she forgets that she ever admitted her feelings? People do not necessarily remember things when they are drunk. What should he do then? Remind her? But that wouldn't seem legitimate; she may think he was lying. He was happy but perplexed too and the thought of Emily didn't even strike him till three in the morning. If he breaks up with her she would be devastated and that wasn't the way he wanted to end things. She had been a great friend to him and if he was completely honest with himself he didn't like her anymore.

Unable to resolve his dilemma he decided to act on it in the morning. After a lot of tossing and turning he finally slept at four. When he woke up it was nine in the morning and he was still a little thrown away as he realized the events of last night were indeed true. He decided to check upon Ally and prepare himself for the best or the worst to come. It could really range from Ally proclaiming her love for him and running into his arms, to her waking up with amnesia. There was no in between. This was the day where he would finally know where he stood in her life. What he meant to her.

He carefully opened the door to the guest room and saw that she was still asleep. He walked to the bed and sat on the other side of the sleeping figure. She must've sensed his weight because then she turned to her side and opened her eyes.

Adjusting to the light she blinked rapidly and rubbed her eyes. She recognized the person sitting beside her, "Miller?"

He smiled widely. "Good morning."