Chapter 16- He's Just Not That Into You

Chapter 16- He’s Just Not That Into You

“Alex is coming for the weekend.” Ally’s mother announced to her the following Friday morning. She was peacefully eating her cereal when her mom decided to drop the bomb and kick off her morning with a blast.

“Why?” 

“I don’t know. He didn’t mention anything. He’s probably getting a holiday or something.” Her mother said while washing the breakfast dishes.

It wasn’t that she hated her brother; they shared a good bond, but the only thing that came to her mind when she thought of her brother was the constant fights he used to have with their parents. He was a rebel, always willing to go the opposite lane. It was a shocker he even agreed to go to college.

 And as if that wasn’t enough he would gang up with their mother against Ally. They would constantly taunt her to the limit she would actually want to pull her hair out. And don’t even get her started about the kind of rapport her father and brother shared. They talked peacefully most of the times but whenever her brother pulled out some stunt, she wished she could run away from her house, because the amount of banging and noises she heard after that, were loud enough to literally stuff cotton into your ears.

So she was quite unhappy that the arrival of her own brother didn’t even cause a pinch of excitement in her. She should be happy, she really wanted to be. But she wasn’t.

With the arrival of her brother, it would be even more difficult to ask her mother for the movie she was planning to see with Jake. She had a feeling he would try to coax their mother into thinking it was some sort of rapist’s plan to kill Ally in a movie theatre.

She took the opportunity of his absence and asked her mom “Mom… My friends are going to see a movie this Saturday...” She started while swirling her spoon through the bowl of milk. “And I was thinking if I could go too?” She said with her gaze on the milk.

She could feel her mother’s eyes piercing through her head but she dared not look up. She had promised last week that she would go out only next month since she had been to too many parties this month. “Ally, you went out the previous Saturday too.” Her mother said in a stern voice.

“I know.  But this is different we’re just going to watch a movie. And it would be like three hours at max.” she pleaded. This wasn’t just going to be a movie; this was going to be a ‘Movie with Jake’. And that makes a lot of difference. Something was finally happening between them and she wouldn’t let her mother ruin it. She had imagined every possible thing that could happen between them in a dark movie theatre. Let’s just say that her thoughts were pretty wild.

“How many of your friends are going? And I want the names of all.”

She knew it was just going to be Jake and her. But she had convinced Haley and Luke to go with them till the movie theatre and then they were on their own. She had it all planned since she knew her mother would never allow just a single boy accompanying her to the movies.

“Haley… and Luke… and Jake.” She muttered the boys’ name. She watched as her mother’s scrutinizing eyes went back to hers. But she didn’t look down this time. She wanted her mother to believe that she wasn’t doing anything wrong.