Chapter 44- Something Great

Ally's heart bursted in her chest, she didn't expect him to say this at all. She was speechless but a storm was raging in her mind. He just said that he loved her. He loved her. A few seconds later a small smile crept up on her face as his words settled in her mind. The music in the background fainted since she couldn't think about anything else other than the three words that he had just said. They were playing in an infinite loop in her mind.

But she didn't have an answer to it. It was all too quick for her, she was sure she liked him more than it was possible to like someone. But did she love him? That question was still hanging in her mind. She didn't want to say something she didn't mean, but also she didn't wish to hurt his feelings. As seconds turned into minutes her silence prolonged and she was losing her calmness.

Then she heard him chuckle, a soft breeze grazed the side of her neck making her aware of his inevitable presence. He moved his hands in circles on her back, trying to relax her rigid posture. "Stop freaking out." He whispered in a soothing tone like he had peeked into her mind.

"It's okay. You don't have to say it back." He spoke confidently, trying to ease her nerves. He added very sweetly, "I'll wait for you."

She was amazed by his patience. Another smile came up on her face and she pulled away to look into his eyes. "Really?" She asked still smiling.

"Yes. Really." There wasn't a trace of anger or urgency in his eyes which testified his words. She thanked him for being so patient with her until she overcomes her fears.

His hands flowed to her waist pulling her closer and they rested perfectly on her back. She wrapped her hands around his neck as an immediate response. They were now silently swaying to the slow beats of the song. The lights were dimmed, a beautiful song played in the background and the setting inside the hall was perfect. She couldn't have asked for a better evening.

"Thanks, for coming with me." He said, looking down at her.

"No, thank you for making me do this. I never would've imagined prom could be this fun."

The song came to an end and the bright lights were back on and the couples around started parting. Before she could do the same, he bent his head to place a quick kiss on her cheek and hugged her. She was shocked by his sudden action and hearing him sigh loudly.

"I love you." He whispered.

She felt his hold getting stronger and tighter around her. She knew her reply. "I know you do." On the inside, she couldn't wait for the moment when she would reciprocate his words wholeheartedly without any fear in her mind.

*

After some more dancing and eating with her friends, it was soon time to announce the Prom King and Queen winners. Cameron was on the stage beside his two fellow contenders and the Principal. Everyone stopped their business and payed attention to the stage.

"My dear students, the moment we all have been waiting for has finally arrived. It's time to reveal the winners of the prestigious title of Prom King and Prom Queen of the year 2014 and 2015." All eyes were focused on the white envelope that the Principal slowly opened. She had no doubt about Cameron's victory but he was being too modest.

"And your Prom King is..." Every person in the room held their breath including Ally, although she was sure about the winner.

"Cameron Miller!"

The hall erupted with hoots and cheers. She watched him get wide-eyed by the result. He was simply never going to accept that he could actually win it. He walked to the Principal and a crown was placed on his head. A blue sash with the words- Prom King stitched on it, was carefully placed across his chest. Cameron smiled at the crowd and gave a smile to his friends and girlfriend. She felt very proud of his victory and lifted her hands higher so that he could see her clapping loudly. He noticed that and gave a big smile only to her. That gesture made her feel special and wanted.