Chapter 18- Conversations with Kanye West

Ally was welcomed the Sunday morning with the dreadful loud voice of her seventy something grandmother. The shorts hanging loosely on her legs and the fact that she woke up at ten in the morning, were enough for her to be the target of her grandma’s critiques.

“Ally…” She dragged her excessively loud voice as she entered the living room. “Sweetie… this isn’t the right time to wake up. You should be up as the sun comes and help your mother in the kitchen.”

She didn’t pay any heed to her comments as she lazily slumped on the couch. “And look what no work has done to you. You’ve become fat since the last time I saw you.”

“Gee. Thanks.” It was the only way she could think to respond to her. She was always too fat or too slim or too dark for her.

“I think she’s okay.” Her mother interrupted in a light tone. Her mother could easily see the anger igniting inside her daughter.

“At least go and comb your hair sweetheart.” Her grandmother went on in her bitter sweet tone. She would always talk about how pretty she was in her twenties. It was hard to believe for her since she was just wrinkled stout woman now.

“Good morning, oldies.” Alex said coming in to the living room. He slumped next to Ally leaning his head on her arm playfully. She cringed at his weight and dirty hair but smiled at his childish behavior.

“My handsome grandson has returned.” The grandmother remarked with a wide smile and sparkling eyes. It was a big thing for the family when Alex agreed to go to college because he was always considered to be the rebel.  So his return was always welcomed with great pride and joy although he was hardly passing the semesters.

“How’s college going dear?” Their grandma asked.

“The same old boring stuff. Just one more year to go.”

“Well why? You should take interest in your studies Alex. They are important. After you successfully pass college nobody is going to bother you anymore.”

“I don’t like studying. I’m only doing this ‘because y’all told me to. After college I’m going to do what I always wanted to do.”

“And what is that?”

“Making custom cars.” He answered in a quiet tone. All aggression was gone from his voice. She believed in her brother’s dreams. He wasn’t made to do a job sitting on a desk all day.

“That’s not going to happen if you do not work hard, son. There are a lot of technicalities you don’t know about.” Her father said joining in the conversation.  She could hear her brother sigh beside her. She felt sorry for him but there did not seem a way she could help him. He talked a lot about how much he loved cars and how he wanted to start his own business. But he was never supported by their family partly because he never took the first step and partly because their family didn’t think it to be viable career choice.

She escaped the coming conversation. The talks about her brother’s future could go on till hours and she wasn’t in any mood to sit through all that. Ultimately she knew the conversation would drift to her career prospects. That was the thing she absolutely hated.

The evening came quickly for Ally because she was locked up in her own room doing her homework. Downstairs some of her relatives had ganged up to visit their dear Alex, but he had already sneaked out from the back door. The uninvited guest did not take this hint and they were eagerly waiting for him. Her living room was locked up with people and their irrelevant talks which she avoided in her room.