Chapter 25- Cold Friendships

Unfortunately a week after the basketball drama, first semester exams had started. Everyone had to quickly transfer their focus from Cameron's injury to the examinations.Even Rebecca. She had to focus on her academics rather than threatening Ally if she wished to pass this year. So Ally was relieved for at least three days. Ally had tried to give the best she could; it was their last year in school which would ultimately decide whether she gets into a good university.

The best thing about those important three days was that her mother had turned into a real softie. She started paying attention to Ally. Her mother would always try not to disturb her whenever she was studying in her room; take care if she's getting enough sleep and food.It was like she had a inner makeover. Although her mom expected a lot from Ally since her brother had gone the wrong way, she never really showed it. She would not order Ally to get straight A's or pressurize on studying for long hours. She trusted her daughter that way. And this gave her enough confidence to write exams without any tension.

On the last day of exams the weather was cloudy with a chance of rain. Winds were strongly blowing and the temperature had dropped significantly in the third week of December. Ally's  hoodie cum jacket wasn't suffice for the intense cold but that didn't bother her much. It had always been weird when everyone was shivering with cold and she was just standing there in her thin jacket.

She was greeted by sad smiles and tensed faces as she looked around in the halls after the exam. It had started raining and she quickly walked upto her locker to pick up a few things before leaving for the awaited winter break. When she reached the parking lot she saw students running towards their vehicles. She had thought it was just drizzling but she had been wrong. It was pouring down pretty hard.

''Damn." She said watching the rain. She zipped up her jacket and covered her head all ready to run towards her car. But she was interrupted when someone tapped her shoulder and called out her name.

She turned around to see Jake looking all sexy in his blue striped sweater and matching beanie. It was an automatic reaction; she couldn't hide her wide grin.

''It's pouring really hard." He said squinting at the nearby parking lot.

''Yeah. I know. It's getting cold." She replied shoving her hands in the jacket.

''Listen, I need to ask you something?" He abandoned the weather talk and jumped to the point. She came closer to hear clearly over the sound of the rain.

''Yeah?"

''Are you… umm… going to the Christmas party?" He asked reluctantly shifting on his heels.

''Umm… I don't know." She chuckled slightly to cover the awkwardness of the situation. "Whose is it?" She asked.

"Nathan Samuels."

"I'm not even sure I'm invited." Another chuckle escaped from her mouth. She really had to work on that. To not laugh when she was nervous.

''We can go…uhh… together?" He half asked and half stated and it was like the ground had suddenly shifted below her feet.

''Oh." She said completely shocked. ''Oh." This time she said it thoughtfully.
-

''Sure." It came out her instantly after she faked comprehending the situation.

''Oh great. I'll call you then about the details." He said with a big smile on his face as if a huge load had lifted from his head. All this nervousness was for her? The thought was almost revolting. He was looking so cute she wondered how did she get so lucky.

Jake departed leaving her the happiest girl in the whole school. Her smile had become like an old scar; impossible to remove.

"What?" Cameron asked appearing out of nowhere. She had probably been standing there smiling like an idiot while the whole school ran to their homes.