Chaper 15- Better than nothing- The Friendzone

Chapter 15- Better than nothing- The Friendzone

The mall was not jam packed with people given it was only Thursday. Only few shoppers and teenagers were scattered in the food court. Cameron and his friends were sitting in the farthest corner of the place from where they could see everything. They had just gotten away from basketball practice and they decided to fulfill their hunger with cheeseburgers. Six of them including Ryan and Luke were enjoying their meals when a pretty thing caught Ryan's eyes.

"Hot girl twelve o'clock." He said loud enough for everyone on the table to hear. Derek, their basketball buddy was sitting on his left and Cameron on his right. On their opposite seats Luke, Kyle and Matt were seated. Both of the boys on his side instantly lifted their head in the front direction. Kyle and Matt too turned their heads behind them and glanced at the girl he referred to

"Oh damn look at those legs." Cameron said and everyone on the table roared silently. The brunette who wore a skirt and a tight blouse was lazily eating ice cream leaning on the railing.

"Now I want ice cream too." Kyle said causing laughter erupt from the table. They were all still staring at her.

"Okay guys that's getting creepy. Everybody doesn't look at once." Ryan whispered. All of them ducked their heads and momentarily focused their attention on their meals.

"Luke you didn't see the hot girl. What is wrong with you? Dude turn around she's still there." Cameron said. He had noticed that only Luke among all of the boys hadn't checked her out.

"I don't want to. I have a date with Haley on Saturday. We're going to the movies." He said smirking and lifting his spoon as if it was sign of triumph.

"Oh thank god. Finally you had the balls to ask her out." Ryan said mocking him. "Which brings us to... what about Ally?" he asked looking suspiciously at Cameron whose mouth was filled with pieces of pickle and sauce.

"Great. We can double date then." Luke added straightening up to see Cameron's reaction. All ten eyes were on him scrutinizing his silence.

"What? Don't look at me like that. We're just friends." he said looking back at all of them casually. There was no chance he was going to ask her out. They had just become friends and he didn't want to ruin it.

"We thought you liked her." Matt said out of nowhere taking him by surprise. But the rest of the table was eerily quiet awaiting his response like they were waiting for his Grammy acceptance speech.

"What?... Pfft.... Oh please... I didn't like her like that... Okay I did." The last words came out in a rush from his mouth when he realized they weren't going to buy his defense. He sighed loudly and his friends listened to him attentively.

"But I don't like her now. It's pretty clear she doesn't like me at all. I'm not going to waste my time. We're good as friends only." He explained. Although it upset him when he realized what he said, he didn't want to think about her anymore. He was going to get over her eventually. If she didn't like him he didn't want to like her either. Besides he had basketball to obsess over right now. He had to concentrate on winning this tournament for his school. They had to win it at any cost. And there were many fishes in the sea flapping their fins at him. He could have anybody he wanted except her.

As much as he didn't want to think about her, he still did. She had invaded his mind once again and he didn't realize he had zoned out until Ryan nudged him a little. Ryan looked at him with empathy. "Hey don't give me that look."

"You're still thinking about her." He couldn't say anything to that. His best friend understood him completely. "I'm sorry, man." Ryan whispered again. Cameron nodded his head and smiled at his friend for his genuine concern.