Episode 8

Sidharth gulped the food in his mouth without chewing.

What the hell!! Is she proposing me? I think I was better off with the beard look. Gunjan always said that I looked attractive without beard. Did she think that I shaved and tidied up to impress her? What do I tell her now?

Sidharth: What? I hardly know you and are you proposing me?

Shehnaaz: No.. no.. no.. I hate men.

Sidharth: Huh??

He looked at Aadya and she looked at him and understood that he must have thought that she was a lesbian.

Shehnaaz: No! It's not what you are thinking. I am as straight as you are.

Sidharth: What? How do you know what am I?

Shehnaaz: So aren't you straight?

Sidharth: Huh? I am! Arghh.. why are we discussing this? If I am not mistaken then you just proposed me.

Shehnaaz: No. I am not proposing you for marriage. I said will you be Aadya's father? I mean to act as one.

Sidharth: But why?

Shehnaaz: Life isn't easy for a single mother. People look down at us just because I am single mother. The same people wouldn't even ask a single question to a single father. Infact a single father gets all the sympathy in the world and a single mother is being tortured and shamed with harsh words, abuses and are often treated as easily available as a sex material.

It's the father's name which is inked on the school admission form or the certificates even though it's a mother who coverts the drop of sperm into a fetus and then from fetus into a full fledged functional human being which is being pushed out into this world by her.

The science has not yet evolved so much that they can skip the above process. They need a mother's womb even for surrogacy and those freaking nine months time to bake it.

The logic is killed when a company which is producing the product isn't even allowed to give it's name or logo on it. Instead they name it behind the spare part provider.

You may be thinking why am I giving such a big monologue. It's because I am filled up until my throat. And it hurt me to the core when Aadya was denied admission in school due to my salutation. I need a father's name for her to enroll her into a school.

Sidharth: I thought her father was no more. Did you got seperated from your husband? Why can't he give his name on the form?

Shehnaaz: Let's skip the question and answer sessions. I am making you an offer. If you act as her father for her school admission then I am ready to compensate you. I don't have much money but I can provide you shelter and food until you get a job. Do you agree?

Sidharth was surprised on such offer.
This is so weird. But we have our own shortcomings and we need each other's support. Her every single word spoke volumes of pain of being a single mother. Besides I would get some more time to spend with them. I don't know why but I feel like they are connected to me. More like a family.

Sidharth: Hmmm.. Yes, I accept the offer. By the way, my name is Sidharth Srivastava.

He forwards his hand for a handshake and she looks at his hands.

Shehnaaz: I have some conditions under this contract. First condition: no touching me or my daughter.

Sidharth gulped and he took back his hand.

Shehnaaz: My name is Shehnaaz Grewal and she is Aadya Grewal.

Sidharth: Nice name, Aadya. When is her birthday?