24: RIVALRY.

KANO STATE, NIGERIA.

"Ms. Adam, arrange these files again and get my coffee." Amirah jumped at the sound of Imad walking into the office, pushing stack of files on her table before adjusting his eggplant coloured suit then sat down on his own swivel chair arranging his laptop in front of him like the real businessman he is. Huh?

"Right away, sir." She hurried to the coffee maker and decided not to be over sabi and just make normal coffee for him today or she'd end up getting her ass fired which she can't afford. That is more like risking her brother in-laws work in the office and her own chance of staying there after her time is over.

She kept the coffee, sugar and cream in a tray then gently lay it down on his desk before meandering to her own desk to get the work done. The files might look small but arranging them alphabetically is going to drain her since it's the same as numerical. If she doesn't know any better, she'd think the man is doing everything in his power to make sure she is there for business and not anything. Then again, he didn't acknowledge the fact that the knew each other so she might as well stop feeling too important in Imad Sunusi Lamido's life once and for all.

Once she's done, it was already lunch time but she is afraid of leaving since he didn't tell her she can leave and she did yesterday because he was in a meeting. How is she going to say it's lunchtime when her boss himself is still working like a workaholic. She is darn sure the man didn't raise his head to look at her since he started working but what she didn't know is that he did while she was also concentrating on arranging and removing the papers given to her. She's looked so focused to not feel his scrutinizing gaze.

He noticed that she looks way different today, her eyes are a bit more dimmer and she don't look well rested. While he on the other hand slept the entire night and almost missed fajr prayer since they were up the whole time with Usayma feeding their hunger. He couldn't eat after tasting food similar to Amirah's, could pass up as what she's cooked if not that he's known otherwise or so he thought. She intentionally cooked it the way his Amirah would and will continue to do so till he goes crazy and decide to confront her about their past so they can put it behind.

He's moved on but she hasn't, she needs to talk it out with him so she can do the same thing. Is that even what she needs now? A confrontation that will dig out all the past pains and torments they went through? Or was she the only one that got herself deep into that nonsense while he didn't waste his time on someone like her? She will never know if that confession doesn't come up, she will have to force it out of him by force or by fire.

"It's lunchtime, Ms. Adam. Go get me some lunch and have yours." Amirah's eyes widen at the sudden words splitting out from Imad's lips but she also jumped in the delight for she is happy he's talked to her albeit professionally, he remembered that she existed after all.

"Sure, Sir!" She grinned before leaving the office to go in search of her two girlfriends so they can help her choose what to give Imad. She won't make it too obvious she's hung behind with the past. As long as he doesn't bring it up, she shall keep it buried till he does first.

"Do you know what I think?" Kamilah smiled mysteriously, something Amirah has never seen so she shook her head warily before Kamilah continued, "Order his favorite junk and give it to him let's see if he will fight you again today. If he does, he is still hung on the past and if he doesn't, then my dear. He has moved on!"

"Yeah, you're right. What is his favorite so I can order quickly? I'm already extremely bored as it is." Lateefa grinned at Amirah's crestfallen face but she gave the order anyway, burger and fries alongside chilled sprite to choke down the food. That is definitely going to remind him of their time during highschool in the school canteen.