12; TOO MANY.

KANO STATE, NIGERIA.

Usayma unconsciously move behind Imad as they continue to trudge into the huge living room. She didn't even have it in her to look around the beautiful place when her nerves are at their end. It's not like she loves Imad or something, but he is her husband no matter what people might think. She needs his family's approval though it wouldn't mean too much to her, she just can't live in their home knowing she is not welcomed or always there to make the atmosphere tensed, she won't like that.

As if they were told that staring is rude, they immediately yaw their attention away from them making her sigh in relief. She don't like how they are judging her but also knew they have every right to do so. No one knew about her getting married to Imad in Nigeria or even the whole world. Only her best friend, Wafa knew about their marriage then them two with their Lord. It was a secret affair back there in Chicago so he won't stop getting any woman he wants, same as her.

They reached the velvet scarlet and golden chairs in few minutes. Imad didn't even draw the chair back for her to sit, well, she also didn't expect him to do so just for his family so she drew one and sat down slowly beside him. The smell of food filled her nose making her stomach grumble in hunger even though she had some food before they left. She is a foodie, always have and always will be. Anywhere there is food, she is always there and so is the Royal dining room she is sitting in.

No one talked for sometime, all looking at the empty cutleries in front of them while she try her best not to stare at them one after the other. She heard that some people notice when you are staring at them so she didn't want to be rude, Imad will hopefully introduce them when he feels like. She can't even memorise their names when she is seeing so many varieties of food in front of her. She needs to devour everything there before her sanity comes back.

Moreover, they are too many.

The atmosphere is tensed and thick with maladroit which she hates. They were all chattering and the kids were laughing heartily before they came in but it suddenly stopped when they arrived or is it her? She wish she knew the way to the bathroom so she can excuse herself for a moment and compose herself. She has never been in too many family before and being an only child didn't help the matter, not to forget stupid Imad that is not talking at all but also stared.

She heard someone cleared their throat so she abruptly rose her head to see who is finally going to break the silence. Her eyes landed on a man, he looks to be in his early thirties, beside him is a woman in her mid twenties looking every inch Royal and beautiful. It makes her feel conscious of her own jallabiya compared to the expensive laces they are wearing and accessories adorning their necks, ears and wrists. She feels sleazy in their presence, she didn't like it.

She is never so vigilant and on alert of her appearance!

"Well, since no one is willing to talk, I will." He gave a cheeky grin that oddly calm Usayma down, he looks like the best brother amongst all of them and bet the funniest too. "I am Asad, and you are?" He threw the question at Usayma making all eyes turn to her, she squirmed in discomfort of the attention given to her by those powerful people.

Yep, even their stares ooze royalty, aristocracy, dominance and potency, just like the walls of the castle. Why does she feel intimidated in front of all those people, not even the smile from that kind Prince could help her. Her stomach churned, tumble and mix in an unpleasant way, the appetite she had minutes ago became invisible, nowhere to be found. She gulped thick gob of saliva then paste a forced smile to her lips before stuttering out.

"I'm Usayma." She stammered, her hands are shaking underneath the table and she wish Imad isn't so selfish and help her out in moments like this.

"Nice name. I see you are not Nigerian and I don't know why you are here. Care to explain?" He is still smiling which ease quarter of her concern but not even half. Her hands didn't stop shaking nor did her intestines, they constricted further to the point of pain.