27: PREPUBESCENT.

The comments from the last chapter❤ I wanted to rest but had to give you this. More comments...

KANO STATE, NIGERIA.

"Amimi, I think we are going to stay here longer than we initially thought. Aminu's health is just there, not going anywhere. Neither moving forward nor backward so the doctors are still testing some more. I'm sorry I am not there and leaving you with Najla." Arwa licked her lower lips, her words soothing Amirah in the best way. Hearing from her always does anyway.

"You don't have to worry, we are handling it quite well and Najla is also very much healthy and okay. Tell him to get well soon so he can come back to work. Not that I'm complaining." She chuckled, lightening the heaviness cloaking their conversation.

She didn't tell her about working for Imad and seems like Aminu does not know whom his new boss is. She does not feel beholden to tell her that, she will get worried unnecessarily when there are more in her plates.

It's still early in the morning, she just finished getting ready for work in her hands down shadow palazzo pants and cloud shirt featuring scoop neckline and bracelet sleeves. She wrapped her veil in Sudanese style, something she learned how to from Husna. She didn't ask for help from no one, not even Afaf who gave her two thumb ups after she was done getting ready. She also felt proud of herself for the first time, another independent and maverick move that needs a pat on the shoulder.

With that pride on her head, she gave her sister a call but she cut it off to call them back again just so she won't finish their airtime. Amirah loves her siblings to death, she'd do anything for them and that is the same thing going through their heads too. She's seen how much they've sacrificed when she was younger, so much that she won't want to wrap it around her. They gave her everything she could ever ask for, even the ones she does not need which is something she vowed to reciprocate one way or the other.

Area's voice lilt her back to present. "Aww, have you all gain weight already? I don't want to come back and see you lots like brooms." Arwa laughed on the other end knowing just how much her words are going to affect the two girls. They look like sticks and not brooms, she should change that statement.

With a voice trying to mimic being mad, Amirah answered. "You want to come back to sacks of rice and grains huh? Well then, do and come back and see for yourself."

More light words were exchanged between the three siblings before they hung up, Amirah is almost late to work now. It's already a week since she's started working two jobs and seeing Imad almost half her day, she is still getting used to it. Imad here and Imad there is really messing with her head big time. Now she is focusing on paying the rest of their debts, the ones in the hospital and the one her mother took from a woman around their neighbourhood. She wants to finish with the woman first, she lacks manners.

She came a month ago, yelling at the top of her lungs, not sparing anyone on her path. A real ditz.

She came one morning to ban them from sleeping. "You these girls! What do you take me for? A stupid woman or what?" The woman, Maman 'yan biyu barged into their room looking at them in the eye. The woman is naturally scary, so imagine her trying to intimidate you the moment you awoke from sleep.

Not a good picture, ferocious ribald is entailed.

"Good morning, Maman 'yan biyu." Amirah boldly greeted, tucking Najla and patting her back so she can go back to sleep. The mannerless woman's voice woke her up and it is not yet time for her to awoke yet. They couldn't forestall it when she isn't willing to listen.

"Which good morning again? I've already told you to stop greeting me, I don't want it! Looking innocent while greeting me won't work." Maman 'yan biyu snarled, her hands akimbo while her eyes narrowed in a threatening manner that did nothing to shake off Amirah's confidence and bold moves.