13: WORTHWHILE.

KANO STATE, NIGERIA.

Amirah gave out a long sigh when she settled her foot in their boy's quarters where the dimly lit orange bulb light up the room. She could see Afaf reading again by the corner facing Najla as she walk around to pick and arrange her toys. She just needs to pray isha and lie down to sleep, she don't have the energy to play with her that day, she needs to sleep or go crazy. The day has already been long and tiring, one more moment of nonsense will lead to her trauma.

"Assalamu Alaykum." She said the taslim in a tired weary voice, her eyes dropping slightly due to fatigue.

"Wa'alaykum assalam. I'm so hungry, Ami. I hope Uzair helped with some food today, I can't even concentrate." Afaf cried when she saw the paper bag her sister is holding, tears gushed down her eyes in happiness and she leaped to take it from her tired sister.

Taking two of the five plates they have and the only two cups they own, she served the food and orange juice Uzair managed to squeeze into the paper bag for them. She couldn't wait for Amirah to even remove her clothes and makeup to change into casual ones like she normally does but started eating after serving Najla. They ate heartily while humming to weird noise coming from the immortal radio beside them.

Afaf was so hungry the whole day after coming back from school with Najla. She goes to school with her when she has only one period then give one of her friends in the hostel to babysit her for the time being. She couldn't eat a thing because the money they have isn't enough and Najla wanted to take friso cream, she bought it with the whole money leaving her hungry for the day. She wished it was a Monday or Thursday so she could just fast, that is what she does.

But she can't thank her younger sister enough for what she's been doing for them. She became the elder sister even though she is the youngest. Even their oldest sister Arwa can't do what Amirah is doing. Arwa don't even have the money to send to them to take care of her daughter, everything is so tight. Afaf is only grateful that she has her younger sister, or she wouldn't know where they'd end up in. Everything has been so messy for them.

"Assalamu Alaykum." They heard a manly voice calling out from their door so the duo adjusted their head ties and wrap it to their chest then answered while telling the person to come in. Their pajamas are decent enough for any non-mahram to see them in since it's huge cotton trouser and shirts, Amirah is wearing one of Imad's shirt she stole.

Came in Mukhtar, Husna's older brother that helped Afaf repair the old laptop given to her by a friend. He is a tall dark man, though he looks to be younger than his age of twenty five. He has a dazzling smile that could blind the sun's while his dimple deepened even as he talks. He has been a great support to both Amirah and Afaf ever since they packed into their house as tenants with his grandparents. Both the girls take him as the older brother they never had and so did he.

"I thought I could bring this for you." He passed them a black nylon leather which Afaf took from his hands with a huge smile knowing what is inside.

"Ah, thank you so much, Ya Muky." She grinned widely, already opening the leather and the newspaper inside. He bought them suya like he does once almost every week.

"Don't mention. I should get going, I have to work early tomorrow. And why is this one so quite?" He asked the question, moving his leg to show Amirah whose eyes are dropping and rising like she can't even hear them.

"I think she is just too tired today and is also worried about something." Afaf answered, looking keenly at her sister who still doesn't know what they are talking about.

She knows her sister like the back of her hand and whenever she looks this faraway, then she is thinking about her ex husband. She knows something happened in the palace that day but she will wait until tomorrow to ask what is it. Either he is back or she heard something about him that triggered his thoughts, she can't do anything when it is all her sister's fault. She can't even defend her in court even if she was given the chance to, she will fail.