8; ALARMED.

KANO STATE, NIGERIA.

Arriving at the Palace, Amirah gave a sigh before trudging forward after exchanging hearty pleasantries with the guards. There is one amongst them that likes her, she knows that but acts like she doesn't. One of them even told her about it, she flipped it away and only continue to live like nothing has been said to her. She wants to be in the safe side and leave him hanging so she could go in and out anytime she wants for more safety.

The journey to the maid's quarters is really a long distance which is enough to take away so many pounds, she already is looking for those pounds. She hardly eats good food in the morning, she only gets to eat the remnants of what the Royals eat in the afternoon and at night. Sometimes, she gets to take some to her home for her sister and niece, almost all the time though. The maids aren't too selfish since they live there and their food is cooked separately. Not to forget, the Cook is one of her best friends and she also works in the kitchen.

Stepping her foot inside, she was greeted by the Cook who adjusted his hat atop his head and gave her a curt nod, telling her to come with him like always. He just left his hut. She obediently followed behind him, they need to cook breakfast for the Royals and it looks like they are almost late. Her heart thuded, it happens whenever she gets to enter the main Palace's kitchen to help cook like always. She is afraid of bumping into any of them, even with her makeup and disguise, she is dead afraid.

"Keep it safe for me or I have your head later, Aidah." She called out to one of the girls, the second room, she knew that by heart so no worries there.

She knows the girls inside and also the times they are working, the other two left remaining only two of them and she knew the other one is probably asleep leaving Aidah to take her online class which Amirah introduced her to when she found out that she loves studying like her. They read together when she started her online classes, she asked if she has the money and she gave a positive answer. She started everything just right, she didn't stop since then, and now she is almost done.

"You ungrateful woman." Aidah called back like usual, their greetings in banter. She is closer to Aidah than any other woman in that huge quarters, again, for more safety.

She grinned, feeling lightheaded all of a sudden for some odd reasons. There are a lot of things she don't want to get adjusted to in the palace, not when she wants to leave as soon as she can. Just one more year, and she is done working as a maid, then what? She don't have any alternative, she needs to start finding another job as soon as possible. Even if it is just babysitting some rich kid, she needs to add it up to make it for Najla.

Najla, she can't ruin the girl's childhood even if she is not the mother, she is her mother younger sister though. She needs to look after her, not to rob her off childhood. It happens once, as soon as you grow up, nothing is ever going to be the same again. She loves the girl from the bottom of her heart which is why she didn't let her sister take her to any of her paternal family, she wanted her close. The girl is a bundle of happiness, always there to cheer them up in this most gloomiest days.

And then her sister who works part time in a saloon close to them. The real trouble about the whole ordeal is the fact that the saloon don't get much customers because of the owner's trouble. She is an Igbo woman who likes causing trouble all the time she gets the chance to, making everyone recoil from getting himself lashed at. She don't get much money from there, only few notes to help her with pen and some handouts from school, that says a lot about her job.

"Stop with your train right there, don't walk into my kitchen with it." The Cook, Uzair demanded from where he stood by the vast stove while she is yet to step into the kitchen so she rolled her eyes at his drama.