20: OLD FRIENDS.

"Are you going to the lunch room?" Kamila asked, a soft mature smile gracing her lips as she gaze down at Amirah. She looks taller than her now, or it might be the heels she is wearing. She won't be surprised if everyone looks way more presentable than she could ever be. Her stars hadn't shone in a long time, all cool or not, karma is biting harder on her ass.

"No, back to the floor I work. I have some work to do before I leave." She stuttered out, never raising her head to meet their gaze as her loafers clad feet are way more interesting than the mirrors in the elevator. The guilt is eating her intestines, eliciting a growl of hunger from her stomach. Darn it, she does not have money to eat from this luxurious place.

She feels like Kamilah is keeping herself away from talking much while Lateefah on the other hand would want nothing but to start spilling. Kamilah could keep her calm for a long time unlike Lateefah who can't keep quite for long, she wants to talk all the time and is always straight forward. Sometimes her words would hurt Amirah but knowing she is only saying the truth will have her keeping quite most of the time. And besides, the truth always hurts no matter how much someone tries sugarcoating it.

It's her straightforwardness that makes her intimidating, makes it hard for men to approach her. She wonder if she has a man now or married too?

"No, it's time for lunch so let's show you the way and we also have a lot to talk about." Lateefah grumbled, crossing her arms around her chest as she stare hard on Amirah who can't help hut squirm. Her heart dropped to her stomach with that last sentence, she knew what it means. They are going to try digging out their past.

If it were before, she would've glared right back at her but now, she feels like a stranger to them all again. She is not as comfortable as she was with them some years ago, some things have certainly changed which also happens to be her fault. She kept quite and gave a small nod which she is not sure if they'd seen or not. She really wants to run away from them that instant, they are not making matters easy with the awkward silence. None of them said a word even though she knows they want to say a lot, it makes her stomach churn in not so pleasant way.

She will have to talk too much today, how much surprises awaits her again?

They made their way to the lunchroom which is the real definition of highschool canteen except that it looks more orchestrated than that of highschool and there are no students wearing uniform here. There are few uniformed women and men walking around to give orders placed, waiters and waitresses dressed to impress. She bet their outfit is more expensive than hers. There are also lots of tables filled with people who are currently minding their business, their heads either on their phones, foods or laptops.

"Let's go over there." Kamilah pointed to the other end of the lunchroom where people are hardly seen, they really mean business now. Especially Lateefah, she is just watching and ready to pounce at any given space.

"I will just place the orders for us. I hope your taste for food hasn't changed now too, Amirah?" Lateefah asked with a raised brow, the woman will be hard nut to crack, she will be mad at her for forever now. Her eyes are in slit, she sees that only when Lateefah wants to pounce on someone.

"No, it hasn't, thank you." She doesn't know how to tell them she has no money to buy anything, she could only follow their words. Do they pay for food or is it for free since they work in the company? She does not know but her heart is already beating miles per second, that is far from her concern. Everyone is going to know about her financial instability too along with her wrecked past.

She kept moving around feeling Kamilah''s gaze on hers like she is scrutinizing her to see what has changed from the last time they met. She has changed a lot though, became more ugly and thin from whom she's been three years ago. Her face became more babyish due to hunger, all the cheekbones hollowing in, her eyes popping out, her lips thinning to a pout making her button nose stand out. She could feel the change in herself so who wouldn't see it? She is sure they are thinking about the famine she's been through.