Chapter 18

tw: abuse

Ricky took a deep breath before going inside of the familiar coffee shop where her mom worked.

Lynne told her son to come by mid-day where she had lunch break, so Ricky did so and here he was, the bell rang making some people turn around, Lynne came from the kitchen removing the apron she was wearing, when she spotter her curly-haired guy a nervous smile started playing on her lips, waving at Ricky.

he smiled back with a nod, his mom gave him a hug "let's go for a walk?"

"yeah... okay" he answered.

they walked for a few minutes, neither of them saying a word and when Ricky was about to break the silence Lynne spoke up "I was abused" Ricky turned his head with a swift move, a nervous laugh playing from his lips "what-?"

"Ricky" she started with a breath "you're dad abused me when you were little" Ricky didn't want to believe her words, he was speechless.

"h-how?" he couldn't get his words out, why she's saying this only now? why didn't she leave before?  he thought, and then it hit him.
-
I'm sure she misses you though, you know? like.. if she left just now, that meant she most probably kept being at home for you, I don't really know how to explain it.
-
"you didn't leave because of me?" Ricky asked calmly at his mom, her mouth was slightly opened and she looked at the ground for a moment, sighing, "I tried to stay as long as I could until you were old enough to understand the situation, I'm really sorry to how things came out Ricky"

"it's not your fault" he told her softly

"it's not Mike's either" she looked at him shrugging.

"what do you mean mom? he abused you!!"

"honey... it was a hard time for him, it all started when grandma died" she whispered "when you where in elementary school, grandma Ellie died, and for a few weeks, even months sometimes, he would get drunk during the day 'cause he knew at night you would be at home and he didn't want you to see him like that"

Lynne explained while motioning at Ricky to sit next to her on a bench "and I worked from home so I was there when he got home from the bar, I tried getting him to talk to me but he said it was useless and drink was a better idea-he would just forget about it..."

Ricky was left speechless, not only for what his dad did, but for the way his mom was kind of even defending him. who wouldn't be shocked.

"wait- yeah that explains why you wouldn't cuddle with me at night or get too tight hugs from me- you know.. for a moment I thought it was my fault that you were so distant" he said with a confused laugh.

Lynne laughed softly too looking at her hands "God no I could never" she said "I had bruises in my arms and it just hurt a lot you know?"

Ricky was hesitant to ask his next question "do you still have some scars or bruises?" to say Lynne was shocked was an understatement but she nodded, "I have one in my left hand, right here" she showed him "I got this one from him throwing a vase at me and I used the left hand for it not to hit me in the face" Ricky nodded understanding.

"then your grandpa died last year.." His mom hesitantly said knowing the scar was still fresh for her son, but he nodded, he wanted to get it done with "and I know he couldn't get anymore that drunk cuz you were getting out of school earlier, but the fear was still there and I didn't want the memories to come back again so I asked for a divorce before things could've gone worst in a click, and I came here" she gestured with her hands "I really am sorry for leaving like that"

"it's ok mom, it's for a valid reason, for now I forgive you" he smiled and she smiled back giving her son a tight hug after years of wanting one and couldn't do it.

"there's one more thing" she said backing away from the hug.

"yeah?"

"about two weeks ago you're dad asked for full custody of you"

Ricky panicked for a second before his mom calmed him down "no don't worry i wouldn't give up on you so easily, I said no" he left a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"I said no mostly because I still want to see you but I also think it's a choice you can and have to make for yourself alright? I know you and your dad are kind of friends so I don't want you to stay away from him because of what he did to me" she spoke softly

Ricky was so in awe with how his mom was holding the situation even after what his dad did to her "okay" he replied.

.° • . ☾ 。• . ✧ *

Mike was nervous as heck, texting his lawyer about what was happening, of course he was aware of where Ricky was and he was afraid to lose him

he was coming out of his little bedroom heading to the kitchen after texting his lawyer when he heard someone knocking at the door.

he opened the door cautious not knowing who could it be

when he saw who it was his mouth parted slightly.

"Sydney? what are you doing here"

"I needed to talk to Ricky... in person".