Chapter 21

Ricky was at Nini's front porch ready to knock on the white door.

"Ricky hey" Carol smiled opening the door more for the boy to come in

"Hi mrs. Roberts how are you?" He smiled back

"Ah! How many times have i told you, you can call me just Carol. And we're all good! How are you and your parents?" She asked while Ricky was heading to sit on the sofa waiting for Nini to come out of her bedroom.

"They're both doing great" he answered shortly "sorry but is Nini gonna be ready anytime soon or...?" He asked with a laugh, and just right then the brunette came out of the room shoeless running towards the entrance of the house for her shoes.

"Hi hi hi yes i know I'm late give me five seconds and I'll be ready" she said breathlessly while trying to tie her shoes as fast as she could "ughh it doesn't wanna fit my foot anymore this thing" she tried a few seconds before the shoe slipped perfectly on her foot again.

Nini exhaled before turning around "hi"

"Hey" he laughed "can we go?"

"Yes, mhm totally" she said nervously trying to hide her embarrassment on being late to their almost daily meeting.

Carol winking at her daughter "mom" the brunette whisper-yelled as response

It was now very often that Ricky would come to Nini's house to pick her up with the car his dad took and go at the same place in Malibu to eat ice cream, and Nini was proud to say that she made him like the strawberry one.

Nini hummed softly while watching out of her window as "the climb" came out as next song at the radio, her head laying on her slightly declined seat.

Ricky watched her in awe everytime she raised her voice a bit more, sometimes joining her to sing too.

Ricky gave Nini her ice cream back after he took the picture of her for his Snapchat, they both sat at the nearest bench they found out there, eating their ice cream in silence

"So..." Nini started "you never told me how it went with your mom"

"Oh.." Ricky looked down at his lap before meeting her gaze again "it went very good actually"

"Aww really? I'm glad" she smiled at him before looking at the view in front of her.

"Yeah... and i found out the reason why she left, I'm not into tell you about it yet, you know? It's still-kinda... private i'd say, but i just gotta thank you? I mean you were right, she didn't leave earlier just because of me so yeah" he said nervously scratching the back of his neck.

"No problem" she smiled again before hearing her phone buzz in the little purse next to her "uh- would you mind if I answer this call?"

"No not really, go ahead" he reassured with a smile, nini nodded grateful before stepping a few feet away for her to answer the call.

"Peter? Hi, what's the problem?" she asked with a confused laugh, her cousin never called her if it wasn't for something important, they normally just texted.

Nini tried her best to keep her voice low knowing Ricky was only a few feet away from her and could hear her.

But little did she know he actually heard and didn't know how to feel about it?