Prologue

First-year
_______________

After the last warm and humid days of summer, the first breezes of September felt refreshing. Laughter and chatter filled her ears as she walked through a crowd of people. It was the beginning of another school year – another school year at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Concealed from the Muggle World —Platform 9 ¾ was filled with young witches and wizards hugging their families and saying bittersweet goodbyes.

Some of the students weren't attending Hogwarts for the first time. Most of them were already used to the routine of coming back every year on September first, leaving their parents behind. However, for Amara and her brother Theodore, it was the very first time – the first year out of seven.

Amara's whole childhood evolved around the magic her parents learned, the magic she was about to learn. She saw the beauty and the darkness in it. Her ears filled with the excited chatter of the students in the compartments they passed causing her veins to vibrate with anticipation. A wide smile filled her face when Amara spotted a familiar head while passing through the train and she came to an abrupt halt.

A girl with short black hair – who was already sitting inside the compartment – greeted her with the same expression and sparkling brown eyes. "Amara, you're finally here." A feeling of security extended in Amara's body sitting down opposite Pansy. At least she already had one friend at Hogwarts besides her brother, which in her mind didn't really count as a friend because he was her brother. "Hey Pans," Amara greeted with a tender voice.

Of course, Amara knew just because Pansy attended Hogwarts with her it meant they would be able to spend time together. No one could be certain in what house they'll be sorted into. Yet Amara was filled with hope because both she and Pansy came from a long line of Slytherin students. Their mothers had been friends as well when they attended Hogwarts. Theo gave a short wave and continued his way to search for his childhood friend – Draco Malfoy. Again a friendship due to their mothers being in Slytherin together.

"This is Daphne Greengrass." Pansy introduced the blonde girl sitting next to her. Daphne shot a bright smile at Amara.

"Nice to meet you." Amara said in the same tender voice she greeted Pansy with and tried to put on a confident smile, "I'm Amara Nott" she introduced herself.

As the landscape outside the window changed to wide fields and lakes, the girls were already deeply involved in discussing the subject they are most excited about, sharing stories they heard.

The compartment was filled with the smell of caramel and pumpkin —sealing their friendship by sharing the sweets they bought from the cart earlier.

"Have you heard?" Theodore said, standing in the open door accompanied by a boy Amara hadn't met before but she still knew who he was.

Amara has seen Mrs Zabini at her house before, never with her son though. He was as handsome as his mother, with perfectly tanned skin and kind eyes.

"No, what?" Pansy asked in curiosity.

"Harry Potter is on the train, he will be attending school with us" Theodore explained.

Every child in the Wizarding world knows his name and was told the stories about him. How he defeated the greatest and darkest wizard there ever was.

The boy who lived is what they called him.

"This is Blaise Zabini" Theo introduced his new friend and received a warm welcome from the three girls. Blaise sat down next to Daphne, just as they started to sink into a conversation, loud talking from the corridor claimed their attention.

"This filthy blood traitor and his rat" roared a dull voice.

Theo, who was still standing at the door, looked down the corridor to see who was making all this noise, but he already guessed it was a familiar voice.

"What happened?" Theo laughed.

"This filthy rat of Weasley bit me," the boy spat. He was accompanied by two chubby-looking boys, whom Amara has never seen yet she knew the blonde that was standing between them with blood running down his hand.

Theo always enjoyed Draco Malfoy's company and even though Amara thought the blonde was quite funny, she never was fond of him.

Every time Theo and Draco would play together, her brother was just mean and always excluded her from the games they played.

Theo and Amara were twins and always shared a special bond yet this never seemed to matter when Malfoy was around. Something that hurt her deeply, it was her twin brother after all.

Theodore studied the crimson that ran down Malfoy's hand and an idea sparked his mind. He turned and smiled mischievously at his little sister,

"Amara?" Theo smirked —proudly.

"Theo?" the dark-haired girl replied, cocking a brow.

"Can you fix his hand?" Theo said, mirroring her expression.

No one knew Amara better than her brother, so he knew she spent all summer reading every spell book she found in their library at home. She already showed him some of the things she read about, so Theo was certain his sister was capable of helping.

She rolled her emerald green eyes and smiled, "Could I ever say no to this smile?"

"No, because I'm your favourite" he taunted and turned to the boys that were still standing in the corridor.

"Amara will fix your hand" he proudly said, allowing the blonde to get inside. Draco waved goodbye to his two bodyguards and stepped inside —sitting down next to Amara.

Amara held her flat hand in front of the blond and placed his hand in hers. She felt a tickling in her stomach because of the gentle touch.

She pointed her wand at his hand, "Episkey" she whispered and his hand looked like new.

"That was so cool" Daphne gasped and Amara's cheeks turned pink when she felt every pair of eyes on her.

Draco raised his eyebrows —impressed. He knew her but to him she was always just his friend's annoying, little sister, only spending time with her when Theo's father forced him to. They were playing around from time to time with the wands of their parents but never with her, they never let her. Maybe they should have.

Amara smiled at the blonde sitting next to her, "You want some sweets?" she asked.

Draco gave her a kind smile and nodded, appreciating the gesture of sharing. Draco never had to share, he was getting everything he asked for.

They all enjoyed the rest of the train ride together.

Little did they know that this train ride was the moment they all became friends, friendships that would be needed in the future.

For the next seven years, they would love and hate each other —need each other during the darkness that was going to come.

_________________

Thanks for choosing to read this! <3

Lots of love <3

x kia