Chapter 60

Sixty
___________

June 24th

Draco was laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling. It started as a normal day and now he wasn't allowed out of his room. He knew why, his parents didn't need to tell him the reason, Draco knew exactly what was going on downstairs and who was down there.

Normally they would send him to Theo or Blaise's house, at least that's what they did the past year but now they told him to stay at home. He wished to leave though, wished to rather be spending time with someone else right now.

A small smile crept on his face, thinking about her but he got quickly pulled out of his daydreaming about her.

"Draco, come down, please"

He sat up and frowned, hearing his mother's voice from downstairs.

A lump formed in his throat making it hard to swallow, followed by nausea. It can't be over yet, why does she want him to come down?

Quick stomps announced him to his mother who was waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs. Her smile was reassuring yet her eyes were glistening in the dim light only making Malfoy's heart beat faster.

"Don't talk unless you're asked to, understood?" she whispered, leading him through the living room. Draco nodded and his chest started rising and falling quickly, his heartbeat pumping blood into every last part of his body.

Every head at the long black table in the dining room turned to the door when Narcissa opened it for her son to step inside. The first person Draco saw was his father, his head up high. He was sitting in the first chair on the right from the head on the table. That was where he was sitting, smiling when Draco walked in.

"Ah, Draco- come, come and sit down," Voldemort said and pointed at the empty chair next to Lucius.

The whole way to his father he stared into the eyes that were so similar to his. It was almost like an aura of pride was clouding his father, who patted his shoulder when Draco sat down. A long, deep breath left through his nose.

Draco recognised most of the faces at the table. His aunt, Bellatrix sat opposite his father, smiling wickedly at the young blonde. Narcissa also took a seat at the table —next to her son yet she avoided everyone's gaze.

"We achieved a victory against Potter- thanks to my old friend Lucius," Voldemort started and a sly smile formed on Lucius's face.

"However," Voldemort started and Lucius's smile faded, "We cannot get to the boy as long as he is still under Dumbledore's protection,"

He looked at Draco, who stared back directly into the black eyes —no sign of fear and weakness came over his face, "You will be most important for this plan, Draco,"

"What can I do?" he asked, trying to keep his voice from wavering.

"He has to die... Dumbledore- he has to die,"

"You want me to kill him? To kill Dumbledore?" Draco frowned and nausea spread inside his stomach once more. It wasn't the killing that caused his inside to tumble, to scream, it was the fact that the person he was supposed to kill was Dumbledore.

Something that wouldn't be easy.

June 25th

Draco couldn't be honest to her, he planned to tell her the truth—he really did. They said no more secrets but after he saw her smile fading —he couldn't.

He didn't know when he would see her again and he couldn't leave her disappointed and sad. He needed her to smile, to see her happy before he left.

Draco promised to come back and he was intending to keep that promise, whatever it takes but he couldn't tell her the truth about why he is leaving.