Chapter 53

Fifty-three
_______________

"I'm sorry," Amara said and Pansy's head snapped up meeting her green orbs.

"I'm sorry I had sex with Draco when he was your boyfriend- I'm sorry for lying to you and for not telling you," Amara said. Her voice was hectic like her thoughts were doing somersaults.

Pansy's lips parted in surprise, unable to utter a word.

"It was wrong- I know that... I always knew that and I-I tried to stay away from him- I did and I-I even told him to break up with you because it wasn't fair and we couldn't continue to do that to you,"

Pansy just stared at the girl that stood before her. She was nervous Pansy could see that. She bit her lips in between the short breaks she took while speaking and fiddled with her fingers.

Amara sighed, "But you know how consuming he can be, how he can make you forget to breathe just by looking at you a certain way and I-I just couldn't stop it... I hate myself for it every day,"

A tear trickled down Amara's face and she quickly wiped it away, "I lost my best friend and nothing will ever excuse what I did but- I-I'm really sorry, Pansy"

Amara didn't give Pansy the chance to say something, "I should have apologised sooner, I know but- but," she bit her lower lip again, thinking about what to say next, "Honestly, I don't know. I-I'm just really sorry,"

Pansy swallowed the lump in her throat. She was close to tears herself. She opened her mouth, wanting to say something —anything but she couldn't. After a short pause and no word from Parkinson, Amara quickly walked away leaving a shocked girl behind.

______

After a while, Draco joined Amara in the library and watched her study. He leaned back in the chair opposite her casually, his hands laying on the table.

He only stared at her while she wrote her essay. A couple of strands of her coal hair fell out of her messy bun, framing her face.

Her green eyes scanned the books, writing down more and more information. She pressed her lips together and knitted her brows when she was thinking about the next line she wanted to write down.

"You've been here for an hour now and haven't touched a book," Amara said, not looking up from her books.

"I wanted to spend time with my- girlfriend," he said with a smug look and licked his lips while his eyes were still focused on her.

"and you wanted to study so here I am, waiting for you to be done," he added.

"You know the way you said girlfriend almost sounded like an insult," Amara teased, smiling.

"I'm just matching your attitude," Draco said, not returning the smile he saw on her lips.

"What attitude?" Amara spat and looked up at the blonde, stopping with her quill abruptly.

"This... attitude," he said, nodding towards her.

"I do not have an attitude," Amara muttered and turned back to her books. It was silent for a moment and Draco just watched her continue writing her essay for Transfiguration.

"You would tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?" he asked, fiddling with his rings, carefully watching her face to see catch her reaction to his question.

Amara tried to stay unbothered and only focused on her writing, giving him a short answer.

"Of course," she replied, "No more secrets,"