Chapter 71

Seventy-one
______________

On Amara's very first day, six years ago she was sorted into Slytherin. A moment she still remembered clearly. The moment the old, smelly hat shouted Slytherin.

Even if no one except anything else with her family background, with the beliefs she grew up with — Amara was scared, terrified to say the least.

There was no guarantee that she would have been sorted into Slytherin and Theo — who always enjoyed teasing her, has been doing a tremendous job in doing so.

From the day they both received their letter until they stepped foot into the great hall, he kept telling her how much she would fit into Ravenclaw with all the love for books she had. The thought of disappointing her father robbed her of sleep.

Luckily Amara wore green and silver — proudly ever since that day.

She found friendships and love in the past six years she never imagined. It all seemed so perfect — too good to be true and every time the colours seemed brighter and her heart beat faster she knew it wouldn't last.

It never did.

Every time something crushed the happiness in her life like a boot stepping on a bug.

Hectic running around Amara and her brother hinted that something was happening. Students with wide eyes and tears streaming down their faces were standing together — hugging and comforting each other.

"They are here! They are in the castle," a boy in Slytherin uniform Amara had never met before shouted, grabbing Theo's shoulder and shaking him, "Death eaters."

Amara gasped, covering her mouth with her hand and Theo grabbed the other one, squeezing it tightly.

"We need to go," he whispered, "we need to get back to the common room quickly."

Amara nodded her head hectically and followed her brother's lead. The second she heard a girl say a familiar name she stopped in her tracks, letting go of her brother's hand.

"Yes, I'm sure it was Malfoy!" Amara heard a different girl whisper. She turned to the two Gryffindors' and parted her lips in an attempt to say something but she had to swallow the lump clogging her throat before she was able to.

"What- what happened?" Amara asked, her voice trembling.

"Like you don't know-," the taller black-haired girl spat, crossing her arms in front of her chest,  "he is your boyfriend after all,"

"Your boyfriend is a death eater," the shorter girl with blonde locks hissed and narrowed her eyes.

"The dark mark is above the Astronomy tower!" a boy from Ravenclaw shouted and the two girls ran away.

Amara's bottom lip quivered while turning to her brother. The sadness was written across his face.

"What are they talking about Theo?" Amara whimpered.

"I-I don't know," he said and grabbed her hand, "Let's go!" he urged her and pulled her along but instead of going down to the dungeon as planned he hurried upstairs. He knew she would break free from his hold sooner or later and hurry up to the Tower with or without him.

If Amara wouldn't have gotten into Slytherin, she might have been on a different side the moment the whole world went dark. She might have changed her views and fought for what is right.

However, she was not. Amara thought her side to be the right one and that was one of the reasons she got sorted into Slytherin. However, she also was a perfectionist driven by her ambition to be the best at all times even if it meant to be ruthless in order to achieve her goals.