Chapter 94

T/W: Character death

Ninety-four
_____________

Time stopped.

Amara stared down at her friend. Daphne laid on the floor — not moving. Amara froze — she couldn't move, couldn't think. Pressure began building up in her chest, sucking all the air away. Tears dropped down her face, blurring her vision.

Her body turned numb and everything around her faded, she only saw the body on the ground beneath her.

She thought she would make it, thought she was strong enough to hold onto her. Her limbs and bottom lip trembled as a sob left her lips.

Slowly and with all the strength left inside her, Amara robbed back and turned on her back. Crumbs of stone pressed into her spine. Her lungs were about to collapse but she didn't care.

Panic rose inside but then it hit her.

People can survive a fall out of the first floor. Hope replaced the numbness and quickly Amara hectically began looking for her wand. Her body finding new strength.

Where was this strength a minute ago?

After finding her wand a few metres away from the edge, she ran as fast as she managed to put one foot in front of the other. She pushed through crowds and ran through corridors with death eaters and former classmates firing spells back and forth

Some miracle left the young girl unharmed and she reached her friend.

Amara grabbed Daphne's face, pleading for her to wake up. More tears dropped down her face and some even onto her friend.

No reaction. Nothing.

Her hands trembled so much she couldn't even check if Daphne had a pulse. Amara tried every spell she could think of. Everything she learned but her effort was useless.

Her best friend had died.

Amara's head fell onto her friend's chest. All the strength left her. She sobbed and cried, screaming in agony.

Amara didn't know how much time had passed but she reached a point where her tears stopped. Her inside was empty.

A loud voice called her attention. Through her blurry eyes, she couldn't tell who stood next to her, only that it was a girl. Blue light came from her wand and then she turned her head toward Amara.

"You need to leave. Take her and leave," the girl said and Amara recognised the voice. It took her a while but she knew who it was.

A part of her wished she wouldn't have shown up and saved her life again but here she was. Saving her life once again.

"They will kill you- you need to leave," Hermione said.

Amara shook her head and sobbed, "I can't."

"Granger!" someone shouted and the girl next to her ran away.

"Amara?" someone called from a distance. Another girl, another voice she knew, "Amara, are you hurt?"

The moment Amara turned to the girl behind her, giving a clear view of the person lying in front of her a loud gasp, followed by a scream went through the air.

Pansy knelt next to Amara, tears streaming down her face.

"She is dead," Amara whispered almost with no emotion. She only was overcome by numbness.

Pansy stroked over Daphne's cheek, her skin still warm, "What happened?"

"We were at the window up there," Amara looked up to the hole in the wall, "and I don't know- maybe a spell misfired and hit the wall... shattering everything. Daphne fell over the edge. I tried to hold on... I tried but she fell and now she-" her voice broke.