| 27 |

- Aria -

I was pacing the hallway, trying to talk myself out of going to the basement but I know deep down I need to. I'm just scared. Scared of the outcome, scared of what I'm about to hear. For the first time in a while, I'm actually feeling fear.

"Aria?"

"Hi mom." I greeted shortly before continuing my inside rant.

"Where's Aurelio?"

"In his office." She nodded about to head that way. "I wouldn't." I warned her as the faint sounds of things falling.

"In the middle of the day."

"At least he's happy."

"And you're not?" She started to walk towards me. I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

"I mean, I'm happy. Or at least I thought I was. When I'm away, I don't have to think about all that has happened. I love Aurelio and Rose reminded what it was like to have a sister but I can't be here, it's not good for my mental. I want to go home." I wiped a fallen tear.

"Then we'll go, after you get your closure."

"What do you—

"I may not like the family business but that doesn't make me any less out of the loop. Go talk to him, you know you won't have another chance." I nodded as she kissed my cheek. "I'll go pack." She left down the hall and I finally opened the door to the basement.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I see Gary sitting in a chair with a pool of blood under him. Part of me felt a tinge of pain, another part thought this was funny.

"Aria.. help me, please."

"You tried to kill my brother and I blame you for my sister's death so I'm the last person you should be asking for help." He tried to pull at the restraints but with the lost of blood, it took a lot out of him. "I think before you die, I at least deserve some answers." He didn't say anything, so I nodded, pulling a chair up and sitting.

"Why did you do it?"

"Your brother asked the same thing.. why did I try to kill him, but I think you know the answer... you'll do anything for love."

"You did this for Maria." I scoffed, feeling the pain all over again. "If you wanted Maria this whole time, then why lead me on, why propose to me huh?"

"I've always loved her. It didn't matter that they were arranged to be married, she was always mine. I thought if I started messing around with you, that I would get over her but it didn't work. You were just a distraction." And just when I thought my heart couldn't break anymore. Tears ran down my face as I looked down, trying to breathe and count to ten.

"And while you were screwing around, my sister was taken. My brother spared you and yet you still try to kill him!"

"Your brother put us through hell. Maria suffered from depression after she lost our child and he didn't give a damn. We tried to run! But no one ever gets away from Aurelio, killing him was the best solution." He shrugged his shoulders.

"Who's helping you?"

"I'm a dead man already. I'm not telling you anything."

"Did you ever love me?"

"Don't ask questions, you don't want the answer to." I laughed, looking around the basement and then I spotted it. A knife on the table of torture items. I rush back over to him, pressing it hard against his throat.

"Oh I promise you, I want the answer." I gritted.

"No Aria. I never loved you." He swallowed hard, looking down at my hand, before looking back up and my face. I wanted to cry, I wanted to break down right in that moment, but something snapped. I started to laugh, like actual laugh.