Video games and sieges

The next day had been left to the two of them. Ryukyu told Hawks and (Y/N) to get some rest, as they were going to storm the Reaper base the next day. Therefore, the two of them decided to have the first proper day off either of them had in a long while. Hawks awoke to a text notification. He turned on his phone, checking who it was.

(Y/N): wanna play video games

Hawks blinked slowly before responding.

Hawks: do you have a game system

(Y/N) several

Hawks: Deal

Hawks arrived at his friend's house within a few minutes, knocking on the door. It was quickly opened by an excited (Y/N) who took him by his wrist and pulled him in. The house was simple and cozy, with at least three game systems he could see sitting in the cabinets in the tv stand. "Nice place."

"Sit on the couch. You want a snack?"

"I guess?"

"I have microwave nuggets."

"Ooh nice!"

"Nuggies it is." (Y/N) pulled a bag of frozen nuggets out of the freezer and poured them on a plate, sticking them in the microwave. "Here, let's get a game. What do you wanna play?"

And so Hawks looked through her massive game collection, a stack of games that rivaled in size to Hawks' movie collection. The microwave beeped and (Y/N) retrieved the plate of nuggets. She stole a nugget off the plate, eating it and taking the game Hawks had picked out. "Oh! This one's a good one." She put the game in the corresponding game system, handing Hawks a controller. "Have you played this one before?"

"No, just heard of it."Hawks stared at the screen, waiting for the game to boot up.

The two of them had a lot of fun, even though it was just a simple fighting game. Eventually, they ended up breaking down laughing after Hawks had lost particularly quickly for the thirtieth round in a row.

"I don't think I've ever heard that character's voice line after they die. That one is hilarious!"

Hawks smiled gently. (Y/N) had such a pretty laugh, and he always liked hearing it. It was nice he was her friend, or else that might have sounded creepy. (Y/N) looked his way, and Hawks' brain stalled.

(Y/N)'s eyes were unfairly pretty.

"Hey, you alright?"

Hawks shook his head to clear it. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Here, let's play another round."

Maybe it was because he was now probably forever distracted as he was now hyperaware of the fact (Y/N) was sitting a little closer to him than before, or maybe it was because he was bad at the game, but he continued to lose. Meanwhile, (Y/N) was a bit concerned about how stressed Hawks was.

"You don't seem okay, do you wanna stop playing or something?"

"I'm fine, just nervous about tomorrow," Hawks lied, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You'll be fine, the only person more powerful than you is Endeavor," (Y/N) reassured him. "You're gonna do great. And I can take care of myself too."

"Thanks," Hawks murmured, feeling a little warm and fuzzy in his heart.

"Now c'mon, I'll go easy on you this round."

Hawks did end up winning a few rounds, at the joy of the aforementioned bird man.

"Good job!" (Y/N) congratulated.