Conflict and Chicken Nuggets

Hawks awoke to (Y/N) leaning against the wall, fast asleep. It looked uncomfortable, the way she was sitting. Nonetheless, she looked peaceful and quite happy. She murmured something in her sleep. Hawks didn't pick up on what she had said, but it was something about penguins. He was tempted to wake her up, considering how she had visited so they could hang out. However, she looked so peaceful that he didn't want to. He scooted out of bed, wincing as he did, detangling his wings from the blankets, and scooted (Y/N)'s chair closer to the bed. He then moved (Y/N) gently, leaning her upper body onto a pillow on the bed. He nodded and scooted back into the hospital bed, avoiding (Y/N)'s head.

Later, (Y/N) awoke to Hawks reading a book. He didn't seem too interested in it. She shot up from the bed, straightening in her chair and checking the time. It was 11 PM. Her eyes widened. She had been here for five hours. She rubbed her eyes, looking around.

"Oh! You're awake," Hawks said, closing his book and trying to set it on the nightstand, but accidentally flinging it across the room. It hit an IV that thankfully didn't have an IV bag attached, knocking it to the ground. Hawks winced at the crash, smiling awkwardly. (Y/N) laughed quietly at the scene.

"It seems we can talk," (Y/N) smiled.

"Not for long, I presume. The nurses came in a while ago and didn't want to wake you so you could leave, but I'm pretty sure your visiting time is supposed to be up by now."

"Well, I'd rather just have a few minutes talking with you than not talk to you."

"I've wanted to talk to you all day, you know," Hawks said, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's really boring here."

"When do you think you'll be out of the hospital?"

"When it stops hurting to breathe," Hawks replied, laughing before wrapping an arm around his gut. "Oww," he complained.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just still recovering. Maybe my body could do the whole mitosis thing better if the food was any good."

"What did you have for dinner?"

"This one American food. I think it was a hamburger. It didn't exactly taste right, though. I've been to America once or twice, the food there tasted a little different than what the hospital gave me."

"I bet it was made to be healthy," (Y/N) joked. "The food out in America has got a whole bunch of fats and carbs and salt, I'm sure the hospital took out a lot of it. Thus why it tasted different."

"Yeah, I believe that. They gave me a salad for lunch. Ugh, I just want something unhealthy for once. I haven't had chicken nuggets in days." The room was silent for a few seconds. (Y/N) pursed her lips and made the mistake of letting her mind wander. She stared at Hawks, and he stared at her. She wished from the depths of her soul that she could kiss him, However, the risks and variables of fulfilling her wish were too great, and her fear of destroying what she did have with him in that moment was too strong. Regardless, that didn't stop her from swooning at least a little when he smiled at her.

"How about a deal?"

"A deal?" (Y/N) propped her head on her hand and leaned in to listen.

"If you can get me McDonalds chicken nuggets and sneak it past the nurses by noon tomorrow, I'll take you on a flight above the clouds when my wings grow back," Hawks said, leaning back in his bed.

A grin spread across (Y/N)'s face. "Really?!"

"When we first met I said that you might get to see it one day. You might be getting your day."