Not dying (thankfully)

Hawks was scrolling through the e-mail, (Y/N) looking at his phone and reading along. Hawks had flown them up to the top of a building, which was a surprisingly calming place to look over the file. "Geez, I'm pretty sure this is the smallest case file I've ever seen," Hawks muttered. "It's mostly just diluted rumors."

"I see that," (Y/N) sighed. "We're mostly on our own." (Y/N) rested her chin on Hawks' shoulder, yawning and staring off into the distance.

"Let's see, so if Shakuhira is affiliated with the Reapers, the first place to check is their last known location." There it was again. Mission mode. Hawks was constantly watching for an enemy, feathers bristled for a fight, always listening. To the untrained eye and even the trained eye most of the time, it looked like all he was doing was casually smirking. But, when the mission needed it, he dropped the facade. Hawks' wings were actually quite flat, not unlike a bird's wing, but only (Y/N) and a few others knew that. To the public and the majority of everyone, his wings were fluffed out at all times. It looked cute, but secretly he had his feathers ready to go in case of danger.

"The Reaper base!" (Y/N) exclaimed. "Maybe we can find him there!"

"Or at least evidence that he's been there." Hawks stroked his chin thoughtfully like he had a beard, even though he just had a stubble.

"That's perfect! We should go tomorrow, or maybe today."

"You're right, today is good. Best to get on the job."

And so they left, locating the base and landing nearby. "We're here. Let's go in." The two of them entered the building, looking around. It was still dark like it had been the last time they had been here, but it felt a little different. (Y/N) pulled out her phone, turning on the flashlight. "Let's take a look around. Maybe we can find something or someone."

"Good idea." Hawks pulled out his phone, turning on the flashlight like (Y/N) had. He swept the circle of light around the room, his sharp eyes searching for someone. (Y/N) knew how good his vision was, being able to spot criminals from high above the skyscrapers. Hawks tilted his head, and he swept his flashlight around the room. "Someone's here," he hissed. (Y/N) grabbed two feathers, ready to fight.

"Aw, you really do have sharp senses, Hawks. Looks like the rumors are true," a voice said from the shadows. "They sent you on the case, I'm shaking in my boots." (Y/N) looked around the room, sweeping her flashlight to where she heard the voice. Hawks sent a few feathers whirling around the room like a small tornado, searching for the owner of the voice. A feather returned with a radio, where the person's voice played through it.

"So whoever this is left a radio."

Hawks pursed his lips. "I think it's Shakuhira. He knows we're after him. He could be anywhere."

"Oh, and you're right!" chirped the voice through the radio. "You see, I'm in the building somewhere. Let's get this over with, come try and find me."

"This is obviously a trap," (Y/N) muttered. "But we have to find him, right?"

"Even though he probably has the odds stacked in his favor."

"It makes me a bit nervous, but we've taken on harder, right?" (Y/N) smiled awkwardly. "Alright, just try not to die, alright? Remember the funeral rites that Reaper gave you?"

"Yeah, I remember. She said it meant I was gonna die soon." (Y/N) grimaced at the thought. "But I'll be fine!" Hawks said hurriedly. "Remember? I have you here! You're strong and can take down anyone! I trust you. And I'm the number two hero, too. I deal with people like Shakuhira on the regular." Hawks smiled, but this time, it was real. She had spent enough time around him