Chapter 33 || Never Felt This Empty, Ever

A A R O N

"You're not going to be able to play for the rest of the season, I'm sorry,"

Words that sliced through me like a fucking knife. The head doctor said a lot of things, but that was the only one that stuck to my head. I'm in pain, fucking pain. Maybe the pain meds are wearing off.

It's two pm in the afternoon and the nurse tells me that Reiter is here to see me. I'm not even ready to see him, or anyone. After sending Liz home three days ago, I haven't been able to see anyone. Only Nick, when I gave him the key to the property I bought for her. I sure hope she took it, and she's living her best life. I couldn't look at her, she sounded broken, just like me. I don't even know why I sent her away, I don't even know what made me to. This hurts, everything hurts; but nothing hurts more than watching the woman I love walk away, and not being able to stop her because I told her to.

I give the nurse a nod and she leaves. Seconds later, Reiter walks into the room, dressed in his usual navy blue suit.

"How are you feeling?" He asks.

"I feel just the way I look," I snap. "I sent Liz away," Fuck, I don't even know why I just told him that.

"Well, that's good," He groans—— wtf? "Did you get her to sign an NDA?"

"I tell you I told my girlfriend off and the first thing that comes to you mind is a fucking NDA!" I snap, so hard that my chest starts to hurt. I won't even be able to walk on my own for the next few weeks. Fucking nightmare.

"Aaron, your play boy reputation was the best——," he starts but I cut him off.

"You're fired!" I snap and his eyes widen.

"I——,"

"Get out of here before I call security, and make sure to drop your stuff with my PA," I tell him a he stands to his feet, walking towards the door. He doesn't say a word, and neither do I, until he finally leaves the room.

When he's gone, Coach walks into the room.

"Why does Reiter look like he shit a brick?" He asks, his eyes focused on my bruised and bandaged face.

"I fired him,"

"It's about time, I never liked that dude," He sighs.
"I know you feel terrible about not being able to play for the rest of the season, but that doesn't mean you should break up with Liz,"

Shit.

"I didn't break up with——," I stop because now it hits me, that's exactly what I did.

"Yeah," He sits on the chair next to the bed, "look, if you broke up with her to focus on hockey, that's totally stupid," He sighs. "What are you going to do? Fuck the puck? Look, I played hockey too, and sometimes you need someone you can cry to, someone that sees you as you, someone that's not just hanging around you because you're the "Aaron West" I get it, you have a lot to think about; your stats, your ratings, the annoying sports analysts, a new agent, rumors, but you need someone to love and help you go through all that," He finally pauses,

"I watched you fall in love Aaron, best shit I've ever watched," He smiles proudly and suddenly I'm reminded that Liz and I never finished watching Bridgerton. I'm going crazy.

"I miss her," I say more to myself than him.

"Yeah, you did this to yourself," He sighs as Nick and Terence walk in.

"This is all my fault," Terence sighs. "If I didn't hit him at the pool party, he wouldn't have done this,"

"Shut up, T, none of this is your fault," I assure him.