26

𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞

"M-i-r-a-c-l-e." Tootie spelled out her name as she wrote it on Jahseh cast. She drew a heart at the end of her name then look up at Jahseh.

"Am I done?" She asked him.

"Are you?" She tuck in her lips looking back at his cast. She placed a dot on her i then look back at Jahseh.

"Now, I'm done." She said happily, putting the cap back on the permanent marker.

"Yup." Jahseh nodded his head, looking at his cast. She had been drawing on it all afternoon while the rest of his family talked.

They had all gathered together at his grandfathers place for Thanksgiving dinner. Instead of hanging with all their cousins, Tootie and him were in the kitchen with each other. Jahseh wasn't in the mood to engage with any of his family members. It was Jason birthday and like he figured, everyone was acting like it wasn't a special day.

No one in his family mentioned the passing of his brother nor his birthday. It pissed him off, but he kept his cool by not being around them. He knew he would end up going off on them and he didn't want to do that in front of Miracle.

"Jah." Miracle called him and he look down at her.

"Wassup?" He asked, turning his body towards her. She leaned closer and he did the same so their faces were close.

"Do we say happy birthday?" She asked him, lowly so he was the only one that heard.

"Yeah, later." He answered and she nodded her head. He was going to take her to Jason gravesite later on, so they could see him. It's been awhile since Jahseh visited his brother and he felt as though today would be a good day.

"YOOOOO!" Calvin shouted walking in the kitchen with Keem and Javon. Jahseh let out a small sigh as his cousins walked over to them. He wasn't too fond of them because they were messy. Everywhere you go, one of them were in some shit and he wasn't into that. He stayed to himself, never mess with his family because why should he.

"Y'all just don't wanna be with the family huh?" Keem asked, speaking loudly for no reason.

"Your loud as hell!" Javon told him and he flip her off.

"Suck my dick, J." He retorted, Jahseh smacking his lips.

"Can you not." He spoke, Keem looking at him then sucking his teeth.

"Can you not." He mocked him then started laughing. "Nigga, acting like we can't curse and shit. Got me fucked up." Jahseh kept quiet, leaving his thoughts to himself. He was better silent than going on and causing a scene.

He leaned back down to Miracle, "I'm going to the store, so I can get you some candy. Are you going to be fine here?" He asked for assurance and she nodded her head.

"Aight." He helped her off the chair, getting up as well.

"Oh, we going to the store! I'm tagging along!" Javon exclaimed, heading out the kitchen.

"I didn't-"

"Shit I'm going to." Calvin cut Jahseh off, walking out with Keem. Jahseh pinch the bridge of his nose, taking a deep breath.