chapter 4

a long time ago...

he saw something odd in an alley. a little girl was on the ground, surrounded by three other girls who were laughing at her. immediately, he set his bike on the side of the sidewalk and ran towards the girl to help, but stopped in his tracks.

the girl was so much smaller than the other three, but she pushed the tallest one to the ground with ease. he hid in the shadows by the wall and watched in awe as she chased the other two, bringing them down with a swing to their heads with a shoe. it was impressive.

he smiled to himself, watching the two girls cry. he saw the small girl bend down to look them directly in the eye. he was pretty sure she said something to them to make them stop crying, but he couldn't see because his view was blocked by the short one. the one who got pushed onto the ground was still crying and wiping away her never-ending tears.

ugh. that one is so weak.

he still kept watching though. the two girls were running away, and the smallest one was walking towards the tall girl. suddenly, she threw a punch at her face, and the crack echoed clearly throughout the alleyway. the small girl's face had absolutely no emotion at all when she straightened up. he cringed once he heard the tall girl's wails. it kinda scared him.

but that punch was so cool.

then the short girl appeared right in front of him. it looked like she finally realized what she'd done. with a quick glance behind her, he saw the two girls who ran, and an adult. they were running towards the girl with a bloody nose. he realized that he zoned out. the girl in front of him looked conflicted.

he decided that he'd help her.

he told her to follow him and ran as fast as he could, hoping that she was keeping up. he spent no time looking back to check if she was still behind him. they were going to get away. he would make sure of it.

he picked up his bike from the ground, telling her to put her feet on the protruding spokes at the back wheel. she didn't hesitate, and that surprised me. her small hands held on tightly to my shoulders.

was she really going to trust a stranger just like that? what if I tattled on her?

obviously he wouldn't because he knew snitches were the worst. and this girl amazed him with her strength. she could be a true delinquent if she wanted to.

he sped off, making his way through the people on the sidewalk without slowing down. the girl tightened her grip on his shoulders, surprising him once more with how strong she was, now that he was actually experiencing it. he turned his head a fraction to look at her. she was grinning from ear to ear and whooping.

he wanted to burn that image of her in his mind forever.

a few turns later, he dropped her off at her house. it surprised him that she lived on the same street as Sano Manjiro, his best friend. he wondered if she knew him.

the neighbourhood was pretty, but it didn't hide the fact that it was located in a dangerous place. delinquents had become more common these days. it wasn't a place for a little girl to go around punching anyone she wanted. but it was awesome, so he didn't mind.

"thanks for taking me home!" the little girl said a little breathlessly as she got off his bike, holding his shoulders for support.

"I'm just glad I was there to help," he smiled at her.

now that he was really looking at her, he couldn't help but to stare. her hair framed her face perfectly, her eyes made her look innocent (even though she wasn't), and was overall one of the cutest girls he had ever seen.