chapter 22

-

< play Dead Man Walking by Brent Faiyaz >

"you lied, Violet!" Jack shouted from across the living room.

"I was protecting Ryuguji!" I screamed back.

Jack's face was red with anger, his fists clenched. I crossed my arms defensively, trying to block out our group of friends outside who were no doubt eavesdropping.

"he should've been protecting you!" my oldest brother argued.

"he did! and I can handle myself well enough, Jack!"

images of Ry beating Hanma to a pulp bubbled up to the surface of my thoughts. I shook it off.

"those bruises," he seethed, jerking a chin at my neck and wrist, "say otherwise!"

"who cares? they'll be gone in a few days," I retorted as I tucked my green and purple wrist deeper into my side.

"oh my God, you're my sister! I'm responsible for you!" he yelled, slamming his fist hard against the wall. I couldn't help but flinch as I crumbled into myself a little bit. I instantly felt pathetic once I saw all the anger leave Jack's eyes, replaced with guilt and sympathy. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you-"

no, I shouldn't be this traumatized...

"go to hell!" I shouted, stomping into my room and slamming the door hard enough for the frame to creak. from the other side of the door, I could hear Jack trying to apologize, and the others coming in to pull him away so I could have some space.

Takemitchy's voice sounded nervous as he tried to explain things to him, Alani with a few words himself, and Ry trying to apologize - which ended up with Jack cursing him out. Hakkai was also there, giving all of them a report of where Hanma was and what he was doing.

nothing, apparently.

in a seated daze against the door, I blocked them out unconsciously, wondering if I made the right decision or not.

Hanma wasn't fully taken care of, and who knew when he was going to lash out? it was bound to happen either way at some point.

but Ry was safe. he was here, where I could see him... feel him. he was alive. and I planned on keeping it that way.

I wondered why I couldn't shake this sense of foreboding I felt every time I thought about Hanma. maybe it was just the fact that he'd abused me and left me a traumatized mess every time someone raised a fist. Hanma never hit me, but my dreams made me believe he did. I felt weak because of it. and I hated that feeling. I hated going out with him.

I hated Hanma, period.

if I could end his life I would've done it already.

probably.

a soft knock at my door jolted me from my thoughts. I lifted myself off the floor with a huff and opened the door a sliver of the way. Jack was peeking in, and I almost slammed it in his face in annoyance.

"what do you want?" I groaned, opening it up a little more. as annoying as he was, I was never able to stay angry at him. he had good intentions. I understood that.

Jack leaned against my doorframe, almost stumbling back and missing the whole frame. I snorted.

"I'm sorry for yelling," he apologized sheepishly, rubbing his neck. "I was just... mad at myself for not noticing sooner."

"nah. I lied in the first place, and... I'm... sorry...." I grimaced. I was never good with apologies. they always sounded forced and insincere.

Jack suddenly pulled me in and crushed me to him, like he was a mother hugging her child. he rocked me side to side.