chapter 13

AN: pls watch Violet Evergarden rn it's acc so good. i literally cried almost every ep.

"...Alani knocked out...cant find Blue..."

I clutched at Ryuguji's arm, bringing the phone to closer. my heart was pounding with panic.  "what do you mean? someone broke into the house?"

"yes," Jack paused, and I could hear Takemitchy in the background freaking out about seeing the future or something. "we think it's Hanma's doing."

Draken stiffened beside me. the both of us exchanged worried glances before hurrying back towards the festival, leaving everything (except my phone) on the bench. I'm sure some kid would find the stuffies and enjoy it.

"where are you?" Ryuguji asked loudly into the phone, firmly lacing his hand with mine so we wouldn't lose each other.

"me, Angry, Hakkai, and Yuzuha are going back to the house and try to find Blue. meet up with the others at the entrance."

"sounds good," Ryuguji said, and the both of us quickly wove around the sea of people enjoying the festival.

"and call up your squad. if we're dealing with Hanma, this'll get messy. and keep Violet safe!" Jack said harshly.

his squad? like Mitsuya and them? but the thought quickly got lost in a swirl of others.

"you got it, boss."

Ryuguji hung up and pocketed his phone, clutching tightly at my hand. I couldn't think about anything except for the safety of my brothers.

"why would Hanma do this?" I mumbled bitterly.

some pieces were clicking in my brain. it would make sense that Hanma would do something insane if he really wanted to get my attention, and it looks like he still wanted that date with me.

this crazy mf. maybe I shouldn't have manifested someone who was obsessed with me...

but spending all my time with Ryuguji did make me forget that I even had a crush on Hanma in the first place. I couldn't help but to be so drawn to this ex vice gang leader. I didn't even care if it was Hanma who helped me get away all those years ago. maybe it was time that I let the past go..?

"are you okay?" Ryuguji asked worriedly, slowing down to look at me.

I glanced up from the crowd ahead, locking eyes with him. that same heavy feeling stirred in my chest, but mostly, all I felt was guilt. it's my fault that this happened to my brothers.

"no," I shook my head, my brows knitting together. "I could've prevented this... somehow..."

Ryuguji sighed and stopped me, gently taking both of my hands in his. my insides warmed despite the foreboding I felt. "you know it's not your fault, okay? don't blame yourself. Hanma's just a tricky little shit," he said reassuringly and squeezed my hands.

"aaagh, you're making me feel even more guilty for associating with Hanma," I scowled, pulling him along so we could get to the others.

Hanma was all danger and nothing else.

I should've realized it sooner.

~~~

"it'll be faster if we split up," Mitsuya said calmly.

Smiley nodded in agreement, while Emma looked at me with worry etching her features. Ryuguji   squeezed my hand reassuringly.

"no," Takemitchy spoke in a firm and determined voice. we all turned to him in surprise. "I know where he might be."