chapter 20: draken

"what if he threatened your life?"

"I beat his ass once, and I'll do it again," I rolled my eyes. "as many times as it takes."

"not with a gun pointed at you, you can't," Takemitchy deadpanned. I scowled at him.

"so you're saying he's only dragging Violet along because he knows about our relationship, and then he'll kill me when he gets the chance."

"basically, yeah," the blonde nodded.

"he's a sadistic prick who hates what other people have because he wants it for himself. maybe he really is gay..." Alani scratched his head. "'if I can't have him, no one can!' type shit."

"the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I asked in horrified disbelief.

"nothing, nothing," Alani waved it off. "just an inside joke with the bros." but his eyes gleamed with amusement.

I rolled my eyes as Takemitchy chuckled. it was probably something Violet said. the thought of her had my lips quirking up.

and the way she looked today... shit... she was unbelievably beautiful. stunning. breathtaking. the moment she looked up at me after trying not to fall down her front steps, I so badly wanted to kiss her. and her legs in those heels... I didn't care that Hanma had bought those for her because she looked that damn fine.

maybe he really is gay.

"look, he's smiling like a fool in love," Alani whispered across the table to Takemitchy, who grinned as he nodded.

"shut the fuck up," I ordered, cuffing his head. "I'm not in love."

"your pupils say otherwise," Takemitchy snickered, leaning closer to get a better look.

"fuck off, loser. my pupils have nothing to do with love," I grumbled, looking away. my face started heating up.

"Hina told me it does. we tested it and it worked."

"let's try it on you," Alani taunted, bringing his phone up to my face with the flash right in my eyes.

"man, leave me alone!" I hid my face into my arms, right against the edge of the table.

my cell buzzed in my lap and my screen turned on, revealing a text from Violet. I stood up hastily from the chair, not caring about the attention it brought when it scraped loudly against the floor.

violet: help

violet: I need you.

my heart started hammering in my chest as I hurried out of the cafe, my friends confused shouts from behind. as much as I wanted to yell out into the world that she'd finally texted me after God knows how long, I didn't think now was the time.

ry: I'm here

ry: wru

I wove through the people bustling about on the streets and the roads, not taking my eyes off my phone unless I was watching my footing. the ominous pit in my stomach grew rapidly.

I had to get to her.

violet: i'm on the left side of the pond, right after u come in

violet: behind the bamboo against the side of the restaurant

ry: dont move.

I quickened my pace, Alani and Takemitchy following close behind. they fell silent, knowing exactly what was going on. my eyes glazed and I hurried along. it was only a corner turn away when my shoulder bumped into somebody, almost throwing me off course.