chapter 7

the crowed roared.

I turned to Red for help, but he was also as shocked. same with everyone else in the group as they stared at the two who were seconds from fighting. I didn't understand what was going on. why was Alani fighting Hanma? and why for me? don't tell me...

Osanai grinned at both guys, then chopped the air between them with his hand. "begin!"

the people around us were getting riled up. my heart started pounding fearfully, and my eyes were glued to Alani's back. Hanma's lips stretched into a sly smile as the both of them circled around, waiting to see who would make the first move. the height difference between the both of them was significant, but what they had in common was the skinniness. I was scared because Alani was clearly the underdog in terms of physical appearance.

"what's going on?" Red demanded, frowning at Takemitchy and motioning to Alani. "why is he fighting?"

"I-I don't know, this is a surprise for me too," Takemitchy stammered, looking worried. I noticed that Mikey didn't seem surprised. my eyes narrowed at him, but I brushed it off soon after.

"I haven't seen him since he ran away that day," the one with pretty blue hair spoke. "oh, I'm Hakkai, by the way."

"Violet," I said distractedly, hoping the fight was about something other than me.

Alani suddenly lunged at Hanma. I held my breath and watched as he tried taking Hanma down by the waist, planting his feet behind his to get him to trip. Hanma only stumbled back a few steps. he used his elbow to drive it hard into Alani's back, grunting with effort. I gasped as Alani lost his hold, falling to the ground, and crying out in pain.

I started hurrying towards him, but was stopped by a hand grabbing my wrist. I glared back at the hand and tried to yank my wrist out of the strong grip. "let me go," I hissed, looking up at the idiot holding me back.

"no can do," he said with a light tone, but his annoying face was serious. his dark eyes bored into mine, and my body stopped resisting. "gotta let him duke it out, princess."

Ryuguji had that same expression from before, and it made my heart speed up even more. his blonde hair was braided back, a lock of it falling over his eyes. my cheeks started to burn when I remembered that he'd seen me in a bra.

"I thought you weren't coming," I said irritably. "and don't call me that." I looked back towards the fight and sighed from relief. Alani was back up, and he was blocking a kick with his forearms. I noticed that Hanma looked too relaxed. it worried me.

"hey, don't sound like that! I wasn't going to, but since I heard you were going, I decided to tag along," he beamed, gently pulling me back beside him so I was at a safe distance from the brawl before releasing my wrist.

of course you did.

Hanma threw a punch, connecting with Alani's jaw with a smack. the force knocked him back a couple steps, but he stood his ground, wavering a little bit. just as Hanma was about to throw another punch, Alani sprinted straight for him, catching his fist. Hanma grit his teeth, using his free hand to land a blow to the head. his fist narrowly missed. Alani ducked and started hitting Hanma's stomach and ribs with powerful jabs.

Hanma looked like he had real speed to him, but Alani was way faster. my twin threw one more firm punch before moving back, making Hanma double over, coughing. Alani glanced over at me and smiled.

did he just, smile? at me? where's Alani? what'd they do to my brother? he never smiles!

Hanma took the momentary distraction to his advantage, using his long reach to clock him right in the temple. it was a hard hit, and I felt it in my bones. Alani almost fell back into the roaring crowd, then steadied himself. a little bit of blood was leaking from a cut on the side of his forehead.