the walk | katsuki bakugo fluff

prompt: Bakugo has feelings for (Y/n), but struggles to swallow his pride long enough to say something

warning: strong language

word count: 774

.・-: ✧ :- second-person point of view -: ✧ :-・.

He wanted to tell you desperately. An excruciating ache filled his chest when he saw you. He hated that ache. He hated his feelings for you. Nevertheless, he was determined to tell you how every time he saw your beautiful smile his heart seemed to stop. He was determined to tell you how he stares and you without even realizing it. 

He was determined to tell you how he wants to hug you from behind and bury his face into your neck; how he wants to kiss your face; and how he wants to fall asleep and wake up next to you every morning. But it appeared no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't choke the words out.

"Hey, (L/n)!" Bakugo shouted, easily getting your attention. A smile was still on your face, even against his harsh tone and demeanor. Bakugo felt his heart pound harder.

"Yeah, Katsuki?" The way you said his name having a strange effect on the boy in question. Bakugo hesitated.

"You dropped your shitty pen!" Bakugo slammed the pen you had lost earlier onto your desk. Your smile only grew bigger.

"Thanks! I was wondering where that got off to," You told him gratefully. Without another word, he stomped off, retuning to slump at his own desk. He had stumbled upon your pen hours ago, at the beginning of the day. You had accidentally knocked it off your desk, making it roll all the way over to his foot. 

He had known it was your pen by the pattern plastered across it. He had seen the outline of faint little teeth marks from when you had been working on a tough problem. He had kept the pen for the rest of the day, only giving it back after the bell rang. Every time he tried to talk to you, he clammed up. He spat something rude or didn't know what to say at all.

As if your quirk could paralyze the mind, he was helpless. His ego prevented him from expressing the truth. Bakugo found himself slumping down the sidewalk on his way home, his head held low. He heard slow footsteps.

"You okay?" You asked curiously. 

"Why wouldn't I be?" Bakugo snapped.

"You just looked a little down, that's all," You shrugged your shoulders, then you waited for a response that wouldn't come. "You don't have to tell me what's wrong. But, can I try to make you feel better?" Your gentle hand tugged at his uniform jacket, urging him to stand. With a frustrated groan, the boy got to his feet.

"Why would you want to do that?" Bakugo asked in his usual angry tone.

"Because you're too stubborn to let anyone help," You pointed out, "but I don't want you to be upset." You smiled at him. Your fingers grabbed onto Bakugo's warm ones loosely and pulled him across the street. Bakugo felt his pulse sky-rocket and his face flush slightly. He allowed you to pull him into the park on the other side of the sidewalk. 

Your fingers were wrapped around a few of his, the distance between you creating a pull on both your arms. You felt a fleeting feeling of hand-holding. Bakugo was defenseless as you walked together in the park, his hand barely--ever so slightly, in yours. He was unsure what was happening.

You glanced back at him. As the evening grew nearer and nearer, a cool breeze ruffled your hair. The golden hour sun coated your skin like honey, setting sunlight reflecting in your eyes like jewels. He felt his jaw lock and his breath jump out of his lungs. Bakugo moved his hand so your fingers were no longer gently resting against his; he was completely holding your hand now.

You both stopped.

"You're stupid, and an idiot," Bakugo said harshly. "I hate the stupid things you do! I hate the stupid things you do to me! Makin' me feel nauseous whenever you laugh! Making me feel so damn nervous every time you're around! But you're really damn cute so I can't stay mad at you, dumbass!"

"What are you saying?" You asked, your voice weak and shaky. You were confused, hopeful, yet worried all at the same time. He was angry and almost yelling, but his words had sweet undertones.

"I fucking like you... okay?" His voice was quiet now, and he held onto your hand tighter. His gaze fell to the grass under his feet. Once you regained your composure, you did the only logical thing in such a situation. You placed a small kiss on his cheek. sweet, pure, and innocent. The kind of love you had for each other; the kind children have for each other. Unburdened, and clean.